WIndows 10 USB flash drives stop functioning completely

Airlane1979

Dell Inspiron 3020, Windows 10. USB flash drives are stopping working completely, even new ones. For example, I was using a 128GB Kingston flash drive; after 8 months of use it stopped being recognised by Windows File Explorer or any other method of accessing it. I contacted Kingston who diagnosed a failed drive and sent me a replacement today. I inserted it into a USB port on my PC; it was recognised in File Explorer. To speed file transfer, I accessed Device Properties to change its Policy to 'Better Performance - Enable Write Caching' as I have used this many times before. On clicking OK, the system hung and even Task Manager - End Task refused to work. I had no choice but to remove the flash drive. On reinserting it, File Explorer wouldn't recognise it.

I used Powershell to try to reformat the drive with no success. Clear-disk returns an error of 'There is no media in the device'. AOMEI Partition Manager doesn't see it. This is a brand new flash drive.

This is the latest in several SD cards and flash drives that have stopped functioning completely. Am I doing something to cause this or is there a fault on my PC? I've never had similar problems with previous computers.

Flash drive errors.PNG