Usb / hdmi ports not working after changing power supply

Aysenise

So yesterday my gf's computer stopped working and wouldn't turn on again, so she bought a new power supply, she installed it earlier and when trying to turn on the computer, fans were working, rgbs were working, motherboard seemed to work, but beside that, no usb port / hdmi were working, i am not that experienced and have no clue what it could come from, if any of you guys could try to find any clue that could lead to that problem i'd be very thankfull, have a great day and thanks for reading

DavidG

I assume you aren't even getting a display if the HDMI isn't working. Are there any other ports you could test e.g. Display port? VGA?
It sounds as though the motherboard is fried possibly due to the PSU failing. Initially strip back to bare bones - 1 stick of RAM no HDD/SSD . Connect the monitor and PSU including the 4/8 pin CPU connector if there is one. If you still don't get a display, then you will need to take it to a tech to get the motherboard tested

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is this a brand new computer and is it custom built? Was there a power surge or power outage? Most likely something is wrong with the motherboard now. The motherboard isn't grounding out on the case is it? Were standoffs used when it was built?