USB Key detected as Uknown Device

MNE

I bought a Kingmax 128MB USB key plugged it into an XP Pro machine and it worked, i copied some stuff on it. i then plugged it into my mates laptop (running Linux) to see if it got detected, it did, we copied a html file over and it worked fine.
now any windows xp machine i plug it into it gets detected as an "Unknown Device", i tried plugging it back into the Linux laptop and it doesn't get detected at all.

Is it dead? Can i fix it?

Grimulus

is your xp compatible with USB 2.0? i think service pack one fixes that problem. check your Device Manager. See if you have some yellow question marks dealing with USB.

MNE

its backwards compatible so USB 2.0 or USB 1 is not the issue. the only drivers that exist for it are Win98 ones, XP used to recognise it just fine. all USB ports are working fine (on several machines). i got a bad feeling that the key has died.

could it have died if i didn't eject it properly?

Grimulus

Praetor said:
I thought most keys and such would also run with USB1?

Yeah, I thought they would, i'm just an option. I've actually seen them work with USB 1, just somewhat slower. I don't know much about the new ones, i have an old 512mb one. Yeah, i'm assuming your right, it was just something to try but it does sounds like the drive is dying.

Zeon

I had a 256mb USB drive that I used to transport files to and from my classes. One day I plugged the drive into the back of a school computer copied the word documents I just typed. Then plugged it into another computer later that day and received that same error. I was quit pissed about that. The drive only worked for about 5 months and then died on me. It was a generic brand name one. Nothing I did could bring it back. They don’t seem to like heavy use and a lot of traveling.

You’ll find that if it is truly dead the read/write led won’t flash anymore. Because it should flash a couple of time when you plug it into the computer. If there are no lights a blinking then bury the piece of crap and buy a new one.

After I lost the first one I started to periodically make back ups of it every couple of days.