WIndows 10 USB port defect?

ChrisN

Hello, I dusted my PC and unplugged the USB devices. After I plugged them back in, my WD External Hard Drive did not show on my pc. Since I could clearly see the printer, I switched the printer with the WD External Hard Drive. Now the WD shows up on my pc AND the printer shows, which is now plugged into the USB port that did not show the WD earlier, and the printer works fine. Is that USB port defect or could there be another reason for this? Thank you

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If everything shows correctly then don't worry about it right now. If things start to not show then worry. Could have just been coincidence.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If it keeps happening definitely contact the manufacturer. Its working correctly now, there is nothing they can do until it doesn't work again.

ChrisN

Hi
If it keeps happening definitely contact the manufacturer. Its working correctly now, there is nothing they can do until it doesn't work again.
Hi John, This morning the WD is again not showing on my pc. I ran a test scan and received the enclosed result. The problem started after installing windows 10 2004. Any suggestion?

1598223187477.png

ChrisN

Sounds like your external drive is failing.
I guess it might be just a coincidence that it happens right the day when I added a windows upgrade? I am looking into buying a new pc backup. The current WD Book lasted 10 years, but I read a lot of people have problems with WD and Seagate or Toshiba might be more reliable nowadays. May I ask your opinion on this? Thank you

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Usb external will be more prone to failures then their SATA counterparts. I do prefer WD over Seagate or other brands. You may want to look into getting an actual internal drive and put it in an external case like I did. I have an older WD drive that used to be in a external drive that something happened to the connection that I put it in a usb3 external case and use it like that. I don't have it connected all the time, just when I need it. Its a 2tb drive and its been dropped and it still works.

ChrisN

Usb external will be more prone to failures then their SATA counterparts. I do prefer WD over Seagate or other brands. You may want to look into getting an actual internal drive and put it in an external case like I did. I have an older WD drive that used to be in a external drive that something happened to the connection that I put it in a usb3 external case and use it like that. I don't have it connected all the time, just when I need it. Its a 2tb drive and its been dropped and it still works.
Hi Johnb35, I bought a WD My Book (currently on sale at BestBuy). When you say internal drive, is this related? I am not sure what format would be more useful - I am not using Mac. " NTFS is ideal for internal drives, while exFAT is generally ideal for flash drives". Would you suggest to format NTFS or the general exFAT?