USB problems

Frazersnowdon

Hi guys and gals.

I've got USB on my PC and it's stopped working or even being recognised by the system - it's not listed anymore in Device Manager.

I think the problem is that it's USB 1.1 I think, and since I've installed a USB2.0 4-port hub and other items, that's when the problems started.

The XP help system says I may have an outdated version of BIOS or EFI, but that means nothing to me.

What should I do?

FS

OS Dragon

Try going in BIOS and checking whether its been disabled somehow.

Or you could go to Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers > USB Root Hub (Right Click > Properties) and check the Device Status.

To get to Device Manager: Right-Clicking on "My Computer" > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager

Frazersnowdon

thanks, guys.

Device manager doesn't have USB listed at all - it used to be there, but it's disappeared.

When I connect a USB device (such as a flash drive) the light on the flash drive does blink as I connect, but the light doesn't stay on and isn't recognised at all.

It all just seems dead, and I wonder if it's died on me. Any ideas? Perhaps new drivers?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Have you unplugged everything that is usb and tried one device at a time? On my machine usb crapped out on me once for reasons unknown but when I cleared cmos to reset bios they came back. perhaps you might want to try this first. Read in your motherboards manual to reset cmos.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Just realized that your the fella that had to go into bios to set boot sequence :p. perhaps go back in and check for anything usb related and enable it :). if that dont work try reseting bios although bare in mind that this sets everything to default settings. also you can choose that option but I've found that setting all default settings does not do thet trick sometimes and clearing cmos is the only way in those cases. Good luck.

Frazersnowdon

thanx, Blue.

How should I go about clearing CMOS? I don't even know what that is!!!

Any help for a total newbie nerd would be appreciated.

TY

FS

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Do you have your motherboards manual close by? look in it for where the jumper is placed. Normaly clearing the cmos consists of pulling the round battery (looks like a large watch battery) and then pulling a jumper and switching from pins 1-2 to 2-3 or somthing like that. The manual will tell you this though as well as where it is placed. You usualy can clear cmos by just pulling the battery and leaving it out for a few minutes, some would say 30 seconds but sometimes up to 5 minutes or more is necessary.

Edit:

Oh ya cmos, put very basicly it saves your bios settings. http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/CMOS.html

Last edited:

Frazersnowdon

thanx, buddy.

I'll try it when I get home from work...

1. Case off.
2. Watch Battery out.
3. Wait five minutes.
4. Replace.

I think even I can handle that!

Will I have to re-install my OS after that?

Thanx,

FS

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
no your OS will be just fine :). If that does not work for you (bios does not reset) then you'll have to find that jumper but with luck you wont have too. Good luck.

Frazersnowdon

yeah, tried re-installing the drivers. Not sure I've got the right ones because everything was pre-installed when I got the PC. Been on driverguide.com and got drivers, but it's difficult because I think it's a generic USB, so not sure whose drivers to use.

Any ideas?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Well if your talking about the hub then I dont know as I've never used one. But I'm assuming that your usb ports on your computer are not working right? if so then Windows drivers should work fine, Also you would instal your chipset drivers which will take care of any of that. I prob. should have asked but you just installed the OS recently correct? make sure that your chipset drivers are installed but still the usb ports should still work as 1.0 without.

Frazersnowdon

"make sure that your chipset drivers are installed but still the usb ports should still work as 1.0 without."

How can I check that my chipset drivers are installed?

I get the impression I've taken on more than I can handle in re-installing my OS?!?!?!?!

Frazersnowdon

thanx for all your help, guys - problem solved.

I looked at the Chipset Features in Set-up, and somehow the USB Controllers had been set at "disabled"...!

Works a treat - now all I have to do is find some Sound Card drivers..... :confused:

thanx again!

TTFN

FS