Video Issues

Smokie Flame

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RX470DS. It is a 1.5 with 256m ddr (2 128 chips). When I turn the comp on I get no video feed at all. I hear the harddrive boot up or atleast start to. I know for a fact the video card works just fine. I can not find any info worth using for the computer so any info would work even what type of ram it uses so i can try to see if it is a bad ram set. Also anyone know where I can get a MB for it if needed that isnt going to cost me $400??

Trizoy

VIP Member
Does the computer beep many times? When it starts does it beep 8 times 5 times??? Thats a diagnotstic tool for bad ram/video card and many more things. If not.. make sure everything is plugged in correctly, wires ram video card etc..

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Do the HD's just spin up or do they think at all? HDs will spin up as long as they have power, but won't do anything more after that without computer interface...

What happened? Did it just stop working one day? Did you upgrade?

As for the mobo, I'm sure you could find one about anywhere. Just find the specs on the computer(why type of ram, processor, etc) and find a matching mobo. I doubt Sony uses much propriatery stuff...

Smokie Flame

I honestly dont think the HDs are thinking, they are just spinging. As for how many beeps it beeps about every 3 secs. I know for a fact the vid card is good. As for finding a mobo all I have heard is that sony is one of the most propriatery systems there is.

This is the story of what happened to the system;

I bought it used for $310, took it home pulled out the video card to put in my old comp (my vid card burned out on it). I planed to back up the photos and music I had to put it on my sony. All was going good then I put the vid card back into the sony and it burned out. I went and got a new vid card and all was good for about 3 hours, I was updating the exisiting Windows Milinium to XP Pro. I had got the install all but totally completed and then on the last system reboot it booted to nothing. I figured it was the vid card so I put into a good system and it worked just fine.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I never said it was the HD. I was just suggesting that if they spun up and did nothing else that you probably had mobo problems.

Well, it's probably a mobo problem. YOu still might want to try and tear it down and rebuild it peice by peice and hope you find something else that was causing the problem...

Smokie Flame

So my next question where would I beable to find either a sony mobo that matches it for under 200? Or know a place I could get the info to buy a mobo that would work in it. I plan to upgrade the ram to 2x256m and put a 128m vid card. It will be used for video editing so if asus makes a mobo that would fit/work I would love to know.

randruff

You will not need specifically a Sony mobo however if you prefer Sony, just make sure the motherboard you choose will be compatible with your other hardware. Ex.: do not buy DDR2 RAM and a motherboard that does not support DDR2. Check out newegg.com and browse around on there. Personally, i recommend an Asus board. Most importantly, you need to make sure that the motherboard you are going to get has the same CPU socket as the CPU on your faulty board. Best of luck.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I can not find any info worth using for the computer so any info would work even what type of ram it uses so I can try to see if it is a bad ram set
http://www.epinions.com/S0661662-Vaio_PCV-RX470DS/display_~full_specs ... now whether you have s423 or s478 I dunno ...

Also anyone know where I can get a MB for it if needed that isnt going to cost me $400??
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/roundupi850s423sept2k1/ has some lists (for 423 procs) ... for 478s look here