Virus protection

comp_rookie

Hi there!!

Ok..just had a new computer custom built. Seems my comp tech installed EZ Virus protection this time around. Says its way better the Norton 2004-5 virus program,,,,just need second oppinions... :) Also discourages re-installing my Norton securities....for some reason dislikes any norton programs...does this hold true with you other comp builders out there??? And why? Thanks!!

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
Ez is made be Computer Asscociates, they've been around since the beginning, infact when Microsoft got hit years ago with a custom made virus, they called in CA to assist in the cleanup. So in answer to your question, yes, it's a good AV program. Norton is known to be king of the resource hogs, and Norton Internet securities likes to go a bit overboard with protection, and get it's greedy little fingers deep into things. Most techs agree that there are better alternatives to Norton. On the other hand, if you can find a copy of Symantec Anti-virus corporate edition, that's not too bad at all, (it JUST does viri and nothing else), that's actually what i currently have.

comp_rookie

Thanks for the info!!

Am new to the tech side..but want to learn..Am basically a home user,,but also run business at home. Just had new comp built..but trying to understand what he all put into it..lol. I have listed underneath my sig, what he told me he has all done. Now..not sure if its a bunch of *hoopla*,,or if it is a dam good system,,as he tells me!!! I believe him...but cost allot of $$$..and want to make sure its as good as he says...and also want to make sure Im protected from the outside!! Any suggestions as to what mag's out there that I could buy to learn more about the in's and outs of comps, would be appreciated!!
Sorry if am off topic here,,, :(

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
:) Very nice system, especially the HD's with raid. You may want to look into some antispyware software, Microsoft has a product that is free and is probably near the top of the pile, it is also a realtime scanner. I would suggest using a router based SPI firewall instead of a software one.