Virus

dfcole

New Member
Hey I've got a question, my wife got a virus on her computer. She is trying to remove it but the virus is causing the computer to freeze up before the program can remove the virus.

If I connect her hard drive up to my computer can I open up her hard drive and either:
A: Run the program and get rid of the virus, or
B: transfer all of her important files to one of my 2 hard drives and just let her use that instead.

Please let me know and thanks for your help.
 
Hey I've got a question, my wife got a virus on her computer. She is trying to remove it but the virus is causing the computer to freeze up before the program can remove the virus.

If I connect her hard drive up to my computer can I open up her hard drive and either:
A: Run the program and get rid of the virus, or
B: transfer all of her important files to one of my 2 hard drives and just let her use that instead.

Please let me know and thanks for your help.

C. Infect your HDD.

Do you have a spare drive from an old PC that you can install your O/S in - get a free Virus scan software - for this sole purpose and run a scan from in the way you were intending with your PC. I have an old 20 GB Maxtor that is perfect for this function. I'm not suggesting that you would necessarily infect your HDD - by putting your wife's into your system - I'd just rather be safe than sorry. If you can back up your files on your PC before installing your wife's HDD in your PC - that could work too.

For the record - I've done what you originally suggested - out of necessity - not choice. I got the data files off the infected drive and ran a virus scan - but I had already corrupted the system files by naively forcing the disk to remove some important files during a virus scan - for a nasty trojan that was giving me the run around.:eek:

The disk was freezing up on me every time I booted windows - error messages were popping up all over the place after I accidentally removed system files :mad:.

The data files were all retreivable though.:good:
 
Wrong section. Go to the security section, read the rules and do what they say. (HJT log and malwarebytes log) I really think you should give it a shot because there are some really really brilliant people here that can probably help you in an easier way than removing harware if you dont have to. Good luck.
 
Back
Top