VPN connection TCP 443 or UDP 8080?

Renzore101

Hello again CF,

Quick question, is it more secure to run VPN over TCP port 443 than UDP 8080? At first observation it appears that setting my connection to 443 has increased my ping times by approx 10 ms and my internet speeds appear to have decreased by 10-15 Mbps on 443. Any insight is welcome!

Thanks,

Renzore101

Agent Smith

The port you chose wouldn't dictate whether it's more secure or not. There are just two main things:

A) Punching through a firewall that might block the alternative HTTP port 8080 using the SSL port 443 instead.

and

B) Whether you want your ISP to think your VPN traffic is normal SSL traffic if you use port 443. Of course that also depends on the type of encryption you use as well. XOR you ECC would make it look like regular SSL traffic from and to a website.

Renzore101

The port you chose wouldn't dictate whether it's more secure or not. There are just two main things:

A) Punching through a firewall that might block the alternative HTTP port 8080 using the SSL port 443 instead.

and

B) Whether you want your ISP to think your VPN traffic is normal SSL traffic if you use port 443. Of course that also depends on the type of encryption you use as well. XOR you ECC would make it look like regular SSL traffic from and to a website.

I would like for my VPN traffic to appear as normal SSL traffic to my ISP. As far as encryption my current settings are as follows:

Encryption: AES-256
Auth: SHA-256
Handshake: RSA-2048

Available options:

Encryption:
AES-128
AES-256

Auth:
SHA-1
SHA-256

Handshake:
RSA-2048
RSA-3072
RSA-4096
ECC-256k1
ECC-256r1
ECC-521

Agent Smith

You would need ECC or XOR as the encryption option to appear as though your VPN traffic was from a SSL webpage. It appears you don't have that option. It also looks like you are using PIA, if that is the case read this. https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/vpn-encryption

That will help you know what to use for speed.

I have to laugh at what that webpage says at the top using my VPN right now.

• Your IP Address: 23.227.197.18
  • Your ISP: Swiftway Communications
  • You are not protected
Not protected? LOL!

Renzore101

You would need ECC or XOR as the encryption option to appear as though your VPN traffic was from a SSL webpage. It appears you don't have that option. It also looks like you are using PIA, if that is the case read this. https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/vpn-encryption

That will help you know what to use for speed.

I have to laugh at what that webpage says at the top using my VPN right now.

Not protected? LOL!

You better watch out, Agent Smith, you are NOT protected. :D

In my handshake options I do have 3 ECC options, are these different than the ECC you are referring to?

Agent Smith

That's just the handshake protocol. You want the encryption protocol, the encryption your data is being encrypted with to use ECC or XOR.

I use VPN.AC for this.