Want To Setup A Wifi Network In My Neighborhood

Geoff

VIP Member
Like someone said before alot of rude people here that are saying it is impossbale stop bashing this thread. Now lets get back to the org topic plz
Put the hardware aside and answer me this, where do you plan on installing these hundreds of access points?

tlarkin

VIP Member
If you got knowledge, experience and the ability to write well, apply for stimulus money. There is about 10 billion dollars that is going to be given out to communities to build wireless from scratch ISPs for community use. This is to help spread wifi across the country. Google search the keywords and you should find the documents that explain this. I thought about doing it myself, but in the end decided it was a lot of work that I did not have the time for right now. Setting up DNS, DHCP, whole leasing fiber back bones from telecom companies, hiring staff and support, getting contractors to install APs, run cables, and so forth.

It is not going to be easy, but the stimulus package has this in it, and if you can write up a good enough business plan to convince them to give you money, give them the budget you need and the gritty details of how you plan on deploying it, supporting it, and getting the service to your customers, you can do it on the dime of the tax payers.

I think it is a good program, and I think I could have probably pulled it off, but no way I could do all that by myself. I just don't know enough people that specialize in certain things to make it happen, and I definitely was not going to interview anyone for the part. So, it wasn't for me, but if you are so adamant of making this happen, apply for stimulus money.