WIndows 10 Wanting to transfer operating system from hdd to a new ssd

fireyguy69

Hi all, i'm new to this group and i am trying to find the best and safest way to transfer just my operating system files from existing hdd to a new ssd, not a complete disk transfer (which will become the new C: drive) while keeping the programs and documents on the existing hdd as D: drive. I'm currently using a 500GB HDD and i'm wanting to transfer it to a smaller 250GB SSD. But my problem is i don't know how to extract the system and boot up files only. Could someone please provide a detailed step by step process if possible. Do i use Easeus Disk copy software program or partition master to do this? There are so many confusing options available. Just trying to find the best simple way to do it. Thanks in advance. Look forward to your suggestions.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You can't just copy the OS files. You need to either clone the entire disk or install the OS from scratch and reinstall your applications.

fireyguy69

voyagerfan99, thanks. But when i tried searching online for how to do it, it comes up with several options.
But there are two sites that says it can be done, #1 using AOMEI Backupper software program. (Although you have to purchase the full version to enable the clone feature) #2 And one called Easeus Partition Master Free, this is the only one i found that has all the features available in the free edition. Both of them say they have the system clone feature where it clones just the OS partition to ssd and makes it bootable, instead of a complete disk clone.
So are you saying these sites are wrong or incorrect?
Can someone that has possibly done this before please confirm was it successful or what was your results when you tried it?

beers

Staff member
It seems like it would just be easier to fresh install Windows onto the new drive, and then install your secondary inside or in an enclosure and then transfer what you want over.

fireyguy69

beers, thanks. I understand and agree, but the problem is i have a lot of saved documents and pictures on the existing hdd that i would need to backup first before doing the fresh install to ssd. I'm trying to avoid all the extra time wasting and hours needed to backup everything first. That's why i'm looking for a quicker option.