Water Damage

dshaggy1717

My digital camera got dumped in the ocean when my kayak flipped over. I'm pretty sure it's ruined, but I would really like to try to get the pictures off the memory stick if possible. I tried the memory stick at the photo center at walmart and it said there were no pictures on there. I know the chances are pretty slim that I will be able to get the pictures back, but does anyone know of anything I can try? It's a 128 MB memory stick pro. Thanks.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
salt water tends to cause all sorts of problems with electrical equipment, unless you're very lucky i would guess that its dead.

you could try it in a few different card readers if you can but other than that i have no other suggestions

Ku-sama

banned
wash it all off with distilled water throughly.... then let it dry with a blowdryer on cold? if its ruined, maybe it wouldent hurt to get the salt out and try again... also if your gonna try, try quick, salt rusts metal...

dshaggy1717

Well, I took the memory stick and tried it at the store and it worked! I got the pictures on a cd now. I'm so happy. I guess it must have dried out or something. I'm really surprised it worked considering it was completely submerged in ocean water. Thanks for your replies.

ViperGTS19801

One question: Why did you take it in your kayak without putting it at least a ziplock bag or something? Kayak = water, and water = bad for camera.