WD Hard Drive Problem.

NLAlston

Recently, there's been numerous issues with my Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive. I had been hearing continuous USB sounds (as plugging/unplugging) from my computer. It was sounding quite frequently, and I noticed that my external hard drive's icon would drop out, and come back in with direct cadence with the sounds. Unplugging it solved the issue with the soundings.

NOW, however, there (even though my hard drive is showing its blue light strip - denoting power) is NO icon of said hard drive showing in the 'This PC' screen. I unplugged it, and plugged it back in - a number of times, and have even tried different cables. All to no avail. I have some treasured items on this drive, and hope there is something which could be done to turn this situation around. Any, and all responses will be appreciated.

NLAlston

Sorry. I meant to include the fact that I HAD tried the harddrive in my laptop, also, with the same thing taking place - no recognition. As far as a warranty, that expired some years ago. I think this harddrive has to be five or six years old (at least). So, I think it's fair to say that my harddrive is about done for. I'm kicking myself for not having put its contents on another harddrive. DANG.

_Kyle_

Sorry. I meant to include the fact that I HAD tried the harddrive in my laptop, also, with the same thing taking place - no recognition. As far as a warranty, that expired some years ago. I think this harddrive has to be five or six years old (at least). So, I think it's fair to say that my harddrive is about done for. I'm kicking myself for not having put its contents on another harddrive. DANG.

You can most likely get the data recovered by sending it to a data recovery clinic, but keep in mind that's probably going to be pricey. But if you really need the data off the drive, that's probably your only option.

NLAlston

Thanks for inquiring, but I no longer have the housing for that harddrive. In fact, the whole issue, with it, has been ironed out, and the following will describe what the workout was: I took the harddrive to a nearby computer repair outlet, and asked to have checked, for the purpose of determining what was wrong with it. The next morning, the tech called me with information that the drive was fine. It turned out that the culprit was a bad circuit board. It was suggested that I either avail myself of an external harddrive enclosure, or install it in a computer's case. The latter is what I did and, sure enough, that harddrive sprung to life. Talk about relief? WOW, what a load off of me. And the tech didn't charge me ANYTHING. I had to do SOMETHING to show my deep appreciation, and asked if he imbibed. He said that he, occasionally, liked to have a can of beer, and gave me the brand name after I asked for it. I'm sure that he thought I was just 'pulling his socks ', by the surprise look on his face when I revisited his place, less than an hour later, with a 12 ok of his favorite beer. It was the least that I could do. Yes, he REALLY bailed me out .

Darren

Staff member
Thanks for inquiring, but I no longer have the housing for that harddrive. In fact, the whole issue, with it, has been ironed out, and the following will describe what the workout was: I took the harddrive to a nearby computer repair outlet, and asked to have checked, for the purpose of determining what was wrong with it. The next morning, the tech called me with information that the drive was fine. It turned out that the culprit was a bad circuit board. It was suggested that I either avail myself of an external harddrive enclosure, or install it in a computer's case. The latter is what I did and, sure enough, that harddrive sprung to life. Talk about relief? WOW, what a load off of me. And the tech didn't charge me ANYTHING. I had to do SOMETHING to show my deep appreciation, and asked if he imbibed. He said that he, occasionally, liked to have a can of beer, and gave me the brand name after I asked for it. I'm sure that he thought I was just 'pulling his socks ', by the surprise look on his face when I revisited his place, less than an hour later, with a 12 ok of his favorite beer. It was the least that I could do. Yes, he REALLY bailed me out .
I've been that repair guy before, and been repaid in beer twice.

Honestly 10 times better than any tip, except the one time I got a hundo.