webcam: from Russia with love

demonikal

I did just get back from Russia yesterday, but if I didn't put "webcam" in there, no one would answer cuz I'd be a prick.

I have a LifeCam VX-3000 webcam. Lame, very very lame. What this has to do with Russia? Well, I used it before to cam with my now g/f. Yes, I know that sounds lame too. Anyway, she has a laptop webcam and I have my LifeCam VX-3000. Perfect quality I get of her. Lots of fuzz she gets from me. My d/l speed is 18 Mb/s and u/l speed is I think 3.5 Mb/s. I can't remember u/l speed exactly, but I know both speeds are way faster than her DSL speed. I don't know if that has anything to do with the fuzz that shows up on her screen from my webcam. But then again, my webcam does take pretty fuzzy video too. I think it's 3.2 megapixels.

I just need a better one, much better one. Cost, not a huge deal. If I get an expensive one, as long as it lasts, all is good. I just don't want another crappy one like this one. My graphics card is listed in my signature. I don't know if that has anything to do with fuzz either. And the lens is clean. I've used rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip a number of times.

Any ideas are totally welcome. If you have no clue or no ideas but you have a webcam yourself and it performs outstandingly, that'll do.

Thanks so much!!

salvage-this

I am using a Lifecam 5000 and it seems to work pretty well. The lighting is off when it gets dark but is usually not too rough to look at. The picture is clear but it isn't as clear with capturing fast-ish movements. You can see the ghosting at every resolution.

demonikal

I am using a Lifecam 5000 and it seems to work pretty well. The lighting is off when it gets dark but is usually not too rough to look at. The picture is clear but it isn't as clear with capturing fast-ish movements. You can see the ghosting at every resolution.

Thanks for the response! I went on Tigerdirect only because I have a $25 off gift certificate to use even though I use Newegg exclusively now. I figure I might as well use it since it expires in December. I realized my MS LifeCam VX-3000 is 1.3 MP photo capture and 640x480 video capture.

This one I found http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6741940&CatId=6911 It's got a 12 MP camera and 1920x1080 HD video. It's the only 1920x1080 resolution camera that TD carries, but $69.99 is not a bad price. I thought for sure the best webcam out there would be over $100. I'd be willing to spend up to and including $100, now that I know the prices for the best ones out there.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Look into Logitech cameras. You can get a good webcam for fairly cheap.

tremmor

I have a Microsoft webcam. Its a HD and works well. Can't find the model on it. They are not expensive. Like it and last for years for for me. Skype i use it for. Maybe $70.00 or less. Get high def..

demonikal

I have a Microsoft webcam. Its a HD and works well. Can't find the model on it. They are not expensive. Like it and last for years for for me. Skype i use it for. Maybe $70.00 or less. Get high def..

Yeah, Skype is what I need it for too.