Webcam problems

andsands

Hi All,

Hope you can help me as I am ready to take my webcam back!!

I recently purchased a Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX webcam for use with Skype. I have installed the camera using the latest driver from the Logitech website and have been able to contact other Skype users via video. However, the quality of my picture at the other users end is very poor. The picture is very pixalated and way out of sync with the sound. The sound quality isn't that great either, it is breaking up a bit.

The camera is working fine on the PC and is very clear which I believe would indicate that the problem lies in my internet connection and upload speed. The upload speed on Skype appears to be only about 5kbps, which I think (as I am only new to this) is very low. I have cable broadband internet and Windows Vista. I have ensured my firewall allows Skype and have even disabled it all together to see if this is a problem. I have conducted a speed test on my internet connection and the download speed is 12500 kbps and the upload speed is 480 kbps.

I contacted Skype support and they advised me to update my drivers for my video card, download DirectX version 10 and ensured my Windows is all up to date. Nothing so far has changed the situation.

I would be grateful if anyone can advise me as to what my upload speed should be when I am on a video call on Skype and provide any suggestions as what I can do to improve the speed. Or do I need to get a better camera? Is it my internet connection? Any advise would be much appreciated as I am ready to give up on the whole idea.

Thanks.
Andsands.:confused::confused::confused:

cohen

Well depending on the setting on the webcam + in skype will depend.... what is your internet speed??? Check it here

andsands

I did the internet speed test, the same as you indicated in your reply above, and got the results specified in my first post. Any suggestions?

cohen

Can you pls post the speed net test results, copy the html code for forums and paste in a reply.

WeatherMan

also used to have this prob, my fix was investing in a better camera, I only had a $30 one at the time. Kept with my ISP, bought a $200 cam an all is well.