Webcam security system

Techdavid

I have plans to create a camera security system with webcams. How can i connect them together?? What is the best connection strategy? :confused:

Greetz David

4W4K3

VIP Member
...we have 2 webcams in our house for "security" (mainly to watch the dog/cat sitter while we are out of town). My dad just plugged them into the same computer (they are not literally hooked up "together" i don't think), and he uploads the picture to a website (that only our family knows). If we are out of town and at a computer we can login to that website, and see what is going on in our living room or in my dads office.

All he did was install the camera (through attic, 1 hidden in ceiling lamp looking down, 2 in my dads office) and software, and he takes the images that the software takes (or video, but that takes a while to download live over the internet). They are stored on the HD of the server, then the designated website takes the latest pic or video and updates the pic every 30secs i believe, and video streams i believe. It all seems pretty simple...but i am sure there is more to it.

Hope that helps...i really think it's convenient.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Picklee said:
how do they connect to the computer/server or whatever?

Well they use firewire or USB (can't remember). And you just plug it into your PC like usual. Then the software has an option to store the pictures on your HD in a designated file. So then when you make a website (if that's what you want to do) you just have an upload function that will drag the latest picture from that file and upload it to that page. Beyone that, i'm not sure what else there is to do. I don't know what type of camera we have or what software.

Picklee

well if it stores the picture on a file in the hard drive, doesn't it have to delete that picture after it is updated to the website? otherwise you would need a huge hdd to store all the pics? it probably all hooks up through firewire. its more efficient and alot faster than usb with media files and images.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Picklee said:
well if it stores the picture on a file in the hard drive, doesn't it have to delete that picture after it is updated to the website? otherwise you would need a huge hdd to store all the pics? it probably all hooks up through firewire. its more efficient and alot faster than usb with media files and images.

Yes it, in a way, "refreshes". It will discard the first image and replace it with the newest on from the HD. If your HD/camera messes up...then the picture will either be not present or jsut stay the same.

I will see if its firewire/USB in the mornin'. Right now i can't go in my dad's office as the ADT motion detector is on. (don't you jsut love over security parents :mad: )

Picklee

lmao nice. should be firewire and thats what i would recommend to who ever started this lol

(Techdavid)

i was doing some research and it looks like usb is faster but not as efficient as firewire in image transfer so yea