what are the famous bbs in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlarkin

VIP Member
yeah BBS is old school no one uses them anymore. If you want a history on them go pick up and read the book "Masters of Deception" since it was about all those late 80s early 90s hackers in NY that used all those BBSes

Punk

Staff member
yeah BBS is old school no one uses them anymore. If you want a history on them go pick up and read the book "Masters of Deception" since it was about all those late 80s early 90s hackers in NY that used all those BBSes

SO BBS is Bulletin Boards Systems?

tremmor

it was before the internet exist. they had forums, programs but not many were available that i wanted. there was thousands of utilities. us dial up 24k, 56k was not born yet. it was, trs80, digital group pdp11 (8080 microprocessor). matrix printers were to expensive. (it was thermographic paper about 2" wide. 4k memory, 9" black/white screen, no hard drive. 4meg was something like $4000.
cassette interface. no 3-1/2 disk, it was cassette interface mabe 2400 baud.
mostly, bbs was expensive to get to the boards with dial up. not local calls. all my boards were long distance. 25 years ago my phone bill was $300.
isn't the internet the greatest sheet ya ever did see.
gota love it.

the only one i remember was Promethisis.

im looking at my notes.
i had dates starting around 1977.
some of the magazines had bulletions.
kilobaud, 80micro and 80us journal.
cheers........

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
SO BBS is Bulletin Boards Systems?

yes, they were dial up systems way back in the day. I used a couple of them with my modem that were for video game enthusiasts.

No one uses them anymore and I can't remember what they were called.

Status
Not open for further replies.