What could cause interference with a wireless router?

JohnJSal

I'm wondering if it's a DHCP issue? Perhaps when the lease expires from you ISP the router doesn't properly renew?

Networking topics usually go over my head. I have no idea what you said here! :)

But I see that the DHCP setting for the router is set to Auto.

JohnJSal

It says "client lease time" and for that it has "1440 minutes." But right now it's working so I don't know what that means. I'll see how it does tomorrow night.

JohnJSal

Just curious, could the "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" option cause any problems? It's turned on, but I don't think I use that method to set up any devices. I always manually connect them with the wireless key.

JohnJSal

It is WPA2 Personal Mixed, but I don't see any settings for AES/TKIP. How can I check this? I saw this for the Asus router, but not for the Linksys I currently have connected.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
But the problem still is that the directly connected computer with a cable still disconnects. Wireless settings isn't gonna cause that for cable connected pc's.

JohnJSal

But the problem still is that the directly connected computer with a cable still disconnects. Wireless settings isn't gonna cause that for cable connected pc's.

What I mean is that when the directly connected PC goes through the router, the same issue happens, but when I unplug the router and plug this PC directly into the modem, it does work.

JohnJSal

Yesterday was the first day of my new month for data, which also means higher speeds while I have that allotment, and I didn't seem to disconnect last night. Maybe it has something to do with the weakness of the signal once I go over my monthly data allowance and the speeds slow down. Even though it is only supposed to slow down to 1-5Mbps, at night congestion seems to be higher and maybe it slows down so much that no signal is getting through the router?

I don't know. But now I seem to have a new issue. My speeds should be back to 12Mbps, but they are only about half of that. I called my ISP yesterday and they said it was congestion, despite this happening in the morning when there isn't supposed to be as much congestion. Not to mention that while I'm using my "priority data" I'm not supposed to see these slowdowns anyway.

Moral of the story: satellite internet sucks, and if you have other options, take one.

jjohn6

You have a device that is not the computer you are using to test that is doing some kind of backup to some random cloud service at night? If you are hooking up every device and its cousin to your new router and the time rolls around where lets say your phone backs up, bam your issues arise?
If you do have a device uploading/backing itself up, you are going to see your connection go to a crawl. Specially when your latency is through the roof. The connection is constantly fact checking all the data you might be backing up, the new traffic has no way to actually go out and request lets say a news page you just clicked on during this event.

JohnJSal

You have a device that is not the computer you are using to test that is doing some kind of backup to some random cloud service at night? If you are hooking up every device and its cousin to your new router and the time rolls around where lets say your phone backs up, bam your issues arise?
If you do have a device uploading/backing itself up, you are going to see your connection go to a crawl. Specially when your latency is through the roof. The connection is constantly fact checking all the data you might be backing up, the new traffic has no way to actually go out and request lets say a news page you just clicked on during this event.

No, that I know of nothing has auto-backup enabled on any devices.