what could cause this???

noremacyug

i hope im posting in the right area.

i have a abit nf-7 mobo and had a athlon xp 2500 installed on it running stock. everything worked fine and i never had a bit of troubles. i just yesterday fininshed installing my motherboard and other components into a new case and installed a new cpu as well. i now have a athlon xp 2600 mobile. for the most part everything works fine but i am having a couple probs.
the first problem happens when i first boot up. it shows my cpu speed, recognizes that im in dual channel, but when it gets to where it detects the ide devices it sometimes locks up. i can generally get it to boot up by killing the power from the psu and rebooting. it sometimes takes a few tries but it will eventually boot up.
the second problem occurs later. after a fresh install of xp everything works fine (except for the ide detection) at first. however, once i begin to load programs back on and setup my msn internet i begin to have probs shortly after. in my system tray all my icons for virus prog, firewall, etc. come up like they should but it seems to be having problems detecting my network device. my computer isn't networked and it takes a very long time for the little pic of the computer with an X through it to display in my sys. tray. i can't do anything or load and programs until it displays it in the tray. ive tried disabling the network device and that didnt help.
ive never had any problems like this when i had the xp 2500 installed and once i get past these two probs everything seems to run just fine. any ideas as to whats goin on? is it possibly the mobo, or the processor, or perhaps just a setting or driver that needs to be changed? these are the same drivers i used on the previous settup with the xp 2500 installed.

thanks in advance

[tab]

[...]
Easy way to find out is to put the old CPU back in and see what happens. My guess is something isn't plugged in properly :)

noremacyug

im pretty sure ive got everything hooked up right. but i may not and as much as i hate to fool with swappin the cpu's thats what i thought about doin.

thanks

Tapir

Perhaps you need for it to enumerate properly. Try several reboots. Then go into bios and recheck all settings. Sometimes just simply going into bios and saving as you exit solves that type of problem. Of course check that the cpu and fan are properly seated and the right amount of thermal gel or paste etc. was applied.