What difference?

The Astroman

I am thinking of getting 2x DDR SDRAM PC3200 512 MB RAM...
I saw some really different prices.

The most expensive: 239 USD (Corsair)
The cheapest: 76.5 USD (no brand)

Why is there such a difference in price? Put aside the fact that you can brag of having a specific brand... What tech. features vary when buying a 76.5 USD RAM and a 239 USD RAM... Thanks!

4W4K3

VIP Member
Type of RAM chips, buffered or unbuffered, timings, stock voltage, bandwidth, PCB design and durability, overclocking overhead....they are different for every stick of RAM. The cheaper ones can still be as good as the most expensive ones...but its definetly not guaranteed. Stick with brands you know, or brands that receive #1 awards and such. i like OCZ...great price and even better performance.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The most expensive: 239 USD (Corsair)
Thats not very expensive ... i can track corsair for 700USD -- whats the series? For most people the performance improvements will be wasted so they are better off with the cheaper stuff (as long as its not too cheap) .. then again i got uberlucky .... i got my samsung set was for $160USD and they run at PC3700 LOL (they'll goto PC4000 too but not stable enough)

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
ya in my athalonxp 3000+ system i've 1024mb's of the cheap stuff (pc-2700) and it performs just beutifuly! :).

jcline

Like Praetor said, most users just don't tax their systems enough to justify the high-end components. You may also want to look into Corsair value memory...

4W4K3

VIP Member
Mushkin basic is only like $70 for 512MB PC3200, i know you can get even cheaper with no-name memory as well. Look into "Ultra" memory...i believe they are a newer brand. Got good reviews though.