What do you think of HDR Photography?

Do you like HDR photography?

• Total voters

Spesh

HDR's have their place. Not a huge fan of the overdone ones, but in the right application they can look cool. I mostly like HDR for keeping everything exposed. It's nice to be able to bring out details that would otherwise be lost. The whole "Glow" effect thing is an entirely different style of HDR.

Generally, if I'm just trying to keep the sky exposed properly with the rest of the scene, I find it better to use a graduated ND filter and get the whole scene in one shot. This looks more natural as well. I tend to only use HDR if I'm trying to create a dramatic image.

The image you posted looks good though.

I use Photomatix (just bought it). There is a trial version which you can download and use.

Here are some other alternatives http://captainkimo.com/hdr-software-review-comparison/ there's some free HDR software in there too which you might like to tree. :)

Yes I use Photomatix for HDR too. It's a great little program. How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

speedyink

VIP Member
Generally, if I'm just trying to keep the sky exposed properly with the rest of the scene, I find it better to use a graduated ND filter and get the whole scene in one shot. This looks more natural as well. I tend to only use HDR if I'm trying to create a dramatic image.

The image you posted looks good though.

Hey thanks, I didn't know such a filter existed!

Last edited: