What does it take?

Exo

Ive been looking through the various photo contests you guys have had and I must say that some of the pictures are amazing.

Photography has been in my family for a couple of generations, but it seemed to have skipped right over me.

Can someone tell me that for a very novice person to start taking photos, is there a certain setup you would recommend? To get these type shots I am seeing, is it equipment or skill?

I would love to get some great shots like these of my family but with what I have now and the skill.. they just look "normal" (hope that makes sense)

Any help would be great!

tremmor

Got a S3IS Canon with all attachments. Im not a player like some of these people here. Wish i was. Got the wide angle lens, telescopic lense, macro etc and every attachment ya can get.
SKILL, its a yes and know how. Its not me. Its about how much time ya want to put in it and how much money ya want to spend.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
It comes down to talent mostly and if you have the "eye" to see what others don't.
Equipment can play a large role, but only if you have the talent to take advantage of it.

I've seen photographers who have tens of thousands of dollars in gear and they produce nothing but generic work. On the other hand I've also seen photographers who have gear worth no more then a hundred bucks and produce work that I would love to see hanging on my walls.