what format should i use!!

aspire

plz help..i forgot which format i will have to use so i can play my cd's in old cd players...i have the CD-R so thats good...now i just need the format

gamerman4

...Usually the software that burns music to CD will convert it to the correct format for CD players.

PC eye

banned
The cd-rs here have now worked for years without problems when first getting into cd-r/rw drives. Some backups of audio files from the 12x days can run just as well on WMP as they do on PowerDVD 6.0.

aspire said:
plz help..i forgot which format i will have to use so i can play my cd's in old cd players...i have the CD-R so thats good...now i just need the format
I believe that .wav works but as gameran4 said, the program you use should do the converting for you. I know that Nero will convert the files into the CD audio format, can't say for other burning programs.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
computerhakk is spot on: many older players (pre-1998 or so) cannot play home-burnt CD's. Reason: the laser cannot deal with the low reflectivity of burnt CD's, and only recognize commercial ones. Newer players can play CD-R's or even CD-RW's because they use CD-ROM or DVD-ROM transports.

SC7

PC eye said:
There are several freeware as well as some sharewares that will easily convert wav files into mp3s ideal for burning audio cds. Window Media Player 10 will also burn audio cds. That's a different then the previous versions. You can choose from several sites at the link here. http://infospace.abcnews.com/_1_2L7...bar/search/web/wav+to+mp3+converters+freeware

Huh?

Most likely and older CD player will not play MP3 CDs.

Windows Media 8 and 9 both burned audio CDs fine for me.

PC eye

banned
SC7 said:
Huh?

Most likely and older CD player will not play MP3 CDs.

Windows Media 8 and 9 both burned audio CDs fine for me.

They burned audio cds in wma file types. With WMP 10 you can rip cds and see mp3 files instead of the wma type. That's something new with WMP 10 not seen in the earlier versions. I tried the 11 beta but ended up dumping that fast. If the cd reads from the 60min. not 74min. or 80min. type of cd-r due to age it would be far easier to replace the drive for an updated model. If you are just looking for a cd rom and not a writer the cost on those is very low at this point. If the drive is three or four years old or even older and now seeing problems replacing it with a new one would be advised here.

PC eye

banned
With WMP when you go to play an audio cd you also have the rip to library option seen in WMP with the default set to wma. With WMP 10 you can now change that to mp3 instead. If you have an mp3 player you can now carry that around without having to lug a cd player along with it.

ChrisDVD

for playing, i would stay away with high kbs.
With itunes, you can convert the files into AAc format, and choose your kbs. 128 kbs is ofr the normal, so perhaps having a 64 would be good :D

SC7

ChrisDVD said:
for playing, i would stay away with high kbs.
With itunes, you can convert the files into AAc format, and choose your kbs. 128 kbs is ofr the normal, so perhaps having a 64 would be good :D
Why? I use 128Kbps MP3 for all my music, and I love the way it is. Performs well, good quality for my iPod. I won't settle for less, but see no reason to go any higher.

SC7

ChrisDVD said:
i know, but lower kbs might help for his older CD drive.
Explain to me this. How does that help a PC drive in any way? And if it's for an older CD player, the bitrate of standard CDs has been the same for ever, it really doesn't matter. Sorry, but you've confused me.

PC eye

banned
Do we need a few definitions here?
"Audio CDs
Audio CDs do not use WAV as their sound format, instead using Red Book audio. The commonality is that both audio CDs and WAV files have the audio data encoded in PCM. WAV is a data file format for computer use. If one were to transfer an audio CD bit stream to WAV files and record them onto a CD-R as a data disc (in ISO format), the CD could not be played in a player that was only designed to play audio CDs." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV

"Bit rate
The bit rate is variable for MP3 files. The general rule is that more information is included from the original sound file when a higher bit rate is used, and thus the higher the quality during playback. In the early days of MP3 encoding, a fixed bit rate was used for the entire file.

Bit rates available in MPEG-1 Layer 3 are 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 160, 192, 224, 256 and 320 kbit/s, and the available sample frequencies are 32, 44.1 and 48 kHz. 44.1 kHz is almost always used (coincides with the sampling rate of compact discs), and 128 kbit/s has become the de facto "good enough" standard, although 192 kbit/s is becoming increasingly popular over peer-to-peer file sharing networks. MPEG-2 and [the non-official] MPEG-2.5 includes some additional bit rates: 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 144, 160 kbit/s.

Variable bit rates (VBR) are also possible. Audio in MP3 files is divided into frames (which have their own bit rate), so it is possible to change the bit rate dynamically as the file is encoded (although not originally implemented, VBR is in extensive use today). This technique makes it possible to use more bits for parts of the sound with higher dynamics (more sound movement) and fewer bits for parts with lower dynamics, further increasing quality and decreasing storage space. This method compares to a sound activated tape recorder that reduces tape consumption by not recording silence. Some encoders utilize this technique to a great extent.

Non-standard bitrates up to 640 kbit/s can be achieved with the LAME encoder and the --freeformat option, however few MP3 players can play those files." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Bit_rate

PC eye

banned
I know when I run a game mod at times I'll get an error message stating that one of the custom sounds was an 8bit audio file most likely intended for use on a 95 or 98 system. I prefer 48khz wav files with the default Windows in 22khz and downloaded wavs are often in 11khz. What a jumble! :eek: For audio I seen good results just burning mp3s to disk that way even after recording to 48khz wav files and converting them to mp3 after.

At this point now I just use WMP 10 to rip music into the library already in the Windows default mp3 files to save the time converting back and forth. The references there are good to hold onto anyway especially if you need to go back to refer to them at some time.