What is more worthwhile?

Plusi

I would like to upgrade my current system to keep up with some of the more demanding games that are coming out, however I've hit a bit of a wall with my computer...it's a small factor machine, so parts are harder to find, and while it saves space, it is a right farce to update.

My options are to update this computers CPU, which would probably cost me between £100 to £150. I'm limited to AM2+ as my mobo is unlikely to be able to cope with an AM3 processor, according to the people who I bought the computer from, so once AM2's are phased out, my computer is pretty much at the end of its lifespan.

My other option is a new computer entirely. I only bought this one a few months ago, which was sort of a panic-buy, due to my other one breaking. This time, I want to get what I want, and I think I've found a great price, but I would like somebody to cast their judgement and let me know what they think...

MoBo - ASUS® M4N78
CPU - AMD PHENOM II X2 545 SOCKET AM3 (3.00GHz/6MB CACHE)
RAM - 2GB CORSAIR XMS2 DUAL-DDR2 800MHz
Graphics Card - 512MB ATI RADEON™ HD 4670 PCI EXPRESS
Hard Drive - 640GB drive with a 16MB cache
450W Power Supply
Enhanced Cooling

I'm thinking of getting Vista Home Premium 64bit with it too (which comes with a Windows 7 upgrade voucher)

The price of the above is £466. Baring in mind that this will be a computer used mainly for gaming and a few other hefty applications, would it be a good performer? I've looked at benchmark tests for the graphics card, and it seems to be a good one. I'm just a bit dubious about spending this amount of money, but to me, it looks a very tempting price for what I'm getting! It does not include a monitor, keyboard or mouse as I have those anyway.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

mtb211

well I dont know how your budget is, id def go new pc... windows 7 is out today, well at least here in the states

what type of power supply would you be getting, you need to make sure your 12v rail can handle your video card

someone might have a better alternative for your motherboard + ram but id def grab another gig of ram

7angofragger

yea go with windows 7 no doubt... not sure on what games your wanting to play but try to get at least an ati 4870...