what is my computer doing on start up?

james76

Well i removed that stuff and, well, my start up is still laging :(
I think mcafee has something to do with it. The "M" by the clock is read on start up meaning everything is ok, then as things a loading it turns black and indicates it has disabled firewall and spam email (temporarily) than after a while it goes back red again and enables everything back. Any other users noticed this?

Buzz1927

Digaredd
You could uninstall Mcafee, then reinstall, see if that works (be sure to disable it first, and disconnect your internet connection)

james76

Hmmmm, im not sure. Is there something on that log that might be slowing me down? What about the programs that i only use occasionly like phoneserve for instance, there semms in the log that its doing something on startup.

Really all i want going is mcafee, speedtouch internet and anti spyware (microsoft). And ofcourse the microsoft stuff.

Buzz1927

Digaredd
When the red M turns black, press control, alt + delete and see whats running under "processes". That should show you the problem, has it always done this, or just recently?

james76

its always been doing this i think. Im just running disk degrag so ill have a reboot when its done.

Cheers

james76

there are a few svchost.exe's, mcshield.exe taking up a bit, MSKdetct and MSKAgent, mpftray and Mcvsshld, mcagent. there all takingup a bit ( 5,000, 7,000) all mcaffee i think.

explorer is like 20,00

maybe i should stop the start up of mcafee things, but let the actuall program start.

Buzz1927

Digaredd
Mcafee is a resource hog, do you really want to keep it? You can get the same stuff for free thats much lighter. You can't stop Mcafee running on startup, there'd be no point in having it.

james76

what like AVG?
I want a good one, not bothered about price just need a good one that does it all and does it quietly. Any other suggestions?

james76

is there not one that has virus protection and firewall in 1? also i will loose spam killer by mcafee if i uninstall:(

Buzz1927

Digaredd
There is, but it's better to have 2 specialized products rather than an all-in-one. The Firefox browser has got a built-in popup blocker, and you can get free anti-spam programs. There's not really any need to pay for anything.

Buzz1927

Digaredd
At the moment I use Avast and Kerio, Firefox browser and Adaware and Spybot for spyware. I haven't got an anti-spam, but I think Mailwasher is the best free one.

james76

Ye i know about this, but i duno. my computer never loads everything at once on startup , well it does, than 2 mins later its loadin something.

dyserq

houssam_ballout said:
go to start --> run --> msconfig --> startup
and then uncheck the programs that u don't want to load when ur pc startsup, since there are some programs that highly load ur PC and take all the resources/
so try to do my way.

This is extremely useful
I personally disable everything to stop unnecessary programs eating up my CPU

james76

Yes but then you have to open up the programs you need such as virus protection manually so this takes up same amount of time.

do you also stop the services aswell?

Buzz1927

Digaredd
You shouldn't stop your anti-virus from loading at startup, post all the programs listed in startup in msconfig and someone will tell you what's not needed.
Edit: Does this happen every time you startup, or now and then?

Last edited: