What kind of connector is this?

Jahjah440

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I am trying to build a very small computer and I found this slimline internal laptop drive. I am trying to find out what kind of adapter it has on the end and If there are any "to IDE" adapters for it. Thanks.

P8240024.jpg

linkin

VIP Member
Do you have a brand and model number of the drive? that can help us identify it.

It looks to be a laptop SATA connection of some sort, with the power and data pins combined into one connector. normally they are seperate.

Pull the drive out of its tray, it should be four small screws - two on each side of the drive. That's just the adapter that the laptop's manufacturer uses, to connect the drive to the motherboard. I have a similar one sitting on my desk, as we speak that came out of a dead HP laptop I have.

Jahjah440

Well, I found it in a box full of computer stuff, so no laptop came along with it. I already looked up the model # and I think it says PATA but I don't think that's right.

Info:
Hewlett-Packard Company
DW-224E(that's the model)
Part NO: 19770980-57
Serial NO: 2207115
HW/FW REV. 03/A.1K
Manufactured: January 2004

More Pictures:
P8250032.jpg

P8250031.jpg

P8250030.jpg

P8250028.jpg

Ah, it's a DVD drive. I was thinking hard drive and in a tray. It's probably some sort of proprietary connector that HP uses. It's very similar to the one sitting here on my desk, which also happens to be HP. I bet the difference is that mine is IDE and that's SATA?

viet_Cong

pretty sure there is no adapter for it. my compaq laptops drives looks the same...maybe its only for lappys, though if you want a dvd drive i have seem USB DVD drive.

bkribbs

Most laptop CD and DVD drives have them built in. None I have seen can, but you could try to pull it off.

Jahjah440

Aastii was right, I unscrewed the faceplate, and the proprietary connector fell right off, and there I saw it: A new connector(! So, let's do this again! What kind of connector is this?

Note: Long one is the proprietary one, short is unknown.

PICTURES:
P8270036.jpg

P8270035.jpg

P8270034.jpg

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like a SCSI connector to me. The one underneath the part you removed looks like a 50 pin and the one you removed looks like an almost standard 68 pin (its missing the rounded corners)

Aastii

VIP Member
It looks like a SCSI connector to me. The one underneath the part you removed looks like a 50 pin and the one you removed looks like an almost standard 68 pin (its missing the rounded corners)

I agree, however the lack of rounded corners or slanted edges is throwing me off. It looks exactly like a SCSI connector apart from that

Jahjah440

Thank you all for your help. I will be buying the adapter listed above and continue on building my first computer. Next step is how to turn the motherboard on! :D

Jahjah440

Not to double post or anything, but why could HP just used the JAE connector instead of the proprietary connector? :confused::confused:

PohTayToez

Not to double post or anything, but why could HP just used the JAE connector instead of the proprietary connector? :confused::confused:

If they did that, then you could just take any old slimline drive and use it with their laptop, and we can't have that now.