What kind of Ram should I buy..............

mapleleafsno_1

Okay guys, I am a newb (dont hold it against me)
I have a,
P4 1.4mhz
Microstar International Motherboard - MS-6385
Kingson Ram - KVR800X16-4/64 (<<two identical like this =128mb)
Windows ME
And a bunch of other crap.

Anyway I need to know what type of Ram to buy for this computer. I tried to buy SDRAM but it wouldnt fit into slot. I also tried to buy Samsung SAMSUNG
128 MB 600 mHz 184 pin memory Non - ECC, PRODUCT CODE - MR16R0828AN1-CG, but it wouldnt work, it said Memory test Fail on boot up.

I've been looking on ebay at some rambus modules from kingston with the same part # as the ones i currently have but I dont know if it will work. What does all this stand for KVR800X16-4/64????

I see one on ebay currently as KVR800X16-16/256 what is the difference as to what i have already??? Will it work on my computer??? And will it work with the modules I already have???

Thank You for all your help.

Lax

VIP Member
With the prices of computer parts today you may just want to upgrade everything at once and buy a whole new shabang. You can get a 2.0Ghz machine with 512Mb of DDR400 for a little under 600$ prolly. And believe me it's well worth the money you spend on it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Microstar International Motherboard - MS-6385
Is this an OEM machine?

I also tried to buy Samsung SAMSUNG 128 MB 600 mHz 184 pin memory Non - ECC, PRODUCT CODE - MR16R0828AN1-CG, but it wouldnt work, it said Memory test Fail on boot up.
Did you have terminators?

RXRComputers

Possible Answer

Find the manual for your motherboard and look at the specs page and see what type of memory the motherboard requires.
For Example:

Type: 400-MHz DDR SDRAM
Memory connectors: four
Memory capacities: 128-, 256-, or 512- non Error Code Correction
Minimum memory: 256
Maximum memory:4GB
BIOS address: F0000h

This is just an example of what my motherboard is compatible with. The memory speed must agree with the system bus or you will get that memory failure on boot. DON'T MIX AND MATCH DIFFERENT TYPES OF MEMORY THAT ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO GO WITH IT!!! Also, some motherboards require you to install memory in pairs for optimal performance. Example: Dimm 1 goes with Dimm 2, and Dimm 3 goes with Dimm 4. So to reach 256, Dimm 1 = 128 and Dimm 2 =128. One thing to keep in mind is not to pair up and old module with a new one. This can cause a decrease in performace. Hope this can answer some of your question, thats if you have the manual for the motherboard :eek: .