What MOBO should I get???

donshuggin

:confused: :confused: :confused: I am building a PC from scratch for hobby-level video production and gaming. So far I have a P4 processor and an ATI Radeon 8500 video card. I plan to run usual stuff: 2 HDs, CD/DVD burner(s), sound card, and 512+ DDR. Also I have a special Canopus DV raptor capture card that needs its own PCI slot. I want this all to work nicely in a tower. My question is, what motherboard should I get? I am not well informed in this area. Tips/recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!

donshuggin

Money is not that big of a problem, but I don't need to pay for overkill... I am looking for something appropriate for the P4 and the Radeon.

[tab]

[...]
I don't really keep up with hardware these days, but when I need to buy something, I generally check the hardware review sites (search google to find some). My current mobo is an ASUS, but you might also check out ABIT, MSI, Gigabyte, and Intel.

HTH.

CoReY6969

Get an ASUS

I highly recommend an asus motherboard. I have used them for years and had no problems, they are also exceptional for overclocking :).

Corey

Rance

I am thinking about getting a new motherboard to. I have heard asus are really good motherboards for gamming and stuff. Im looking to spend around 400$ on a new motherboard and processor. I kinda want the processor to be an AMD like an athlon xp or something that’s really fast. Maybe like around 3.0GHz. what should i go with.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have heard asus are really good motherboards for gamming and stuff.
ASUS make very solid mobos (as do Abit)

Im looking to spend around 400$ on a new motherboard and processor. I kinda want the processor to be an AMD
Well you'll have to decide on the processor before you pick out the mobo. At least within the domain of AMD, with a $400 budget you wont be looking at a A64 platfrom (well maybe but thats pushin it). I'd reccomend an XP2500+, a good fan and the ASUS A7N8X-X (or the ABIT NF7-S) and then overclock the chip to XP3200+

Maybe like around 3.0GHz. what should I go with.
Not a single Athlon chip runs at 3.0Ghz (stock anyways)

:)

Sophocles

VIP Member
What P4? With which core? the Northwood or the Prescott? The Radeon 8500 is too slow for gaming you need TO get at the least a 128 meg ATI 9600/pro is better and with current prices going down even an ATI 9800 Pro. Praetor's suggestionS of getting an ASUS or an ABIT board are good recommendations. Solid choices, both!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well if you dont really care that much, hunt down the 9800Pro and a good mobo ... it's a one time splurge but iwill be worht it.

Blind_Arrow

in P-4 Northwood (assuming you have Northwood core), the two flagship chipsets were: Intel 865 and Intel 875, and I fyou dont want to spend extra, but at the same time want performance and stability in Budget, go for the 865 chipset board, and in Mnaufacturer I'll recommend Asus, though those who have been using GiGa-Byte, ABit, MSI, is saying their's best, are not wrong as no body manufacturers rubbish in this competitve age of manufacturers. I had used Giga-Byte before, very nice, very stable, precisously I recommended Asus as their Motherboards have won many awards. I am not an over clocker, but requires stability and performance in normal Mode, which I have found out of Asus.

Recommended Motherboards: Asus P4P800 - Deluxe (I have used a range of Motherboards from Asus, on both AMD and Intel Platform. and never felt like regretting)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes agreed the ASUS boards do take the cake when it comes to the 800FSB performance tests. Some argue that Abit boards offer more functionality but realitstically it doesnt matter much :) Both are very solid

darkd3vil

i am prolly going to send my aopen mobo back to newegg or aopen since it is not working at all it just keeps causing problems with me, and i plan to get a asus

darkd3vil

do not get a aopen those thing suck so badly i ah gah its so no evil i hate it just get a ausus i wish i had gotten one when i had the chance

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL ... the thing with AOpen (and ECS, DFI and some others) is that when lowering the price you gotta lower the expectations regarding performance, functionality etc. Same goes for mobos that aim for the "bling-bling" (Chaintec, some MSI models unfortunately, etc).

Im not sure here but I think AOpen specializes in telecommunications, their network hardware is quite competent.... certainly not the best but respectable.

darkd3vil

i also say dont get a aopen because u have no tech support all the phone numbers i called lead me to a voice lady saying were sorry you call can not be completed as dialed ahhhh i hate that lady