What monitor resolution should I get?

Benzilla

Not a gamer, but do watch a lot of streaming content.

For streaming 1080P and 4K content, and wanting the cleanest/highest resolution, should it be a true 4K monitor (not UHD)- since the pixel count divides closer to an even number?

Is there an AMD/other scaling program to help with avoiding blurriness going from from 1080p to a higher res monitor.
Radeon Vega 7 APU

Not a gamer, but do watch a lot of streaming content and most is still 1080p. But for general computing and 4k or UHD content, I was thinking of getting a high res monitor.

I'll be 30ish inches away from it and I'm thinking 27" since I like using Windows snap.

Thanks for the help ~

Benzilla

With monitors, the pixel density/ resolution is less important than the refresh rate if you're looking at streaming content and videos. 4K becomes more beneficial when you start getting into larger screens and projectors. A good analogy would be thinking of a flip book. If you have the same story/scene drawn out on 60 cards vs 120 cards, which one will look more fluid with less blurred frames as flipped through? Resolution does play a role, but you want to strike a good balance between both. Also, if the content you watch is mostly 1080P, then getting a 4K monitor is more future proofing than necessary. If available near you, go check out a computer store with monitors on display. Look at the different resolutions and refresh rates and ask yourself which looks best to you. If you can't tell a noticeable difference, get what's cost effective. If you can notice differences, then get what looks best to you.

PS: 27" inch monitors are a good sweet spot in my personal opinion. 75hz refresh rate is not bad, but I would personally look for 100hz or 144hz.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not able to get to a store for that. But good advise.
Since posting the question and kind of a crash course, I understand what your saying. I pondered a 2160 for the longest, b4 I posted the ? And budget-wise, true 4k at those 75-100hz, or even 60, would be nice but out of budget. Did consider 1080p at higher than 60hz also. I wound up getting UHD at lowly 60hz, knowing the pixel count for 1080 isn't really 4:1 . Anything would be a massive upgrade compared to this 2008 1080p 21".
If it doesn't work out, I think I could sell it w/o much of a hit. It'll be 'like' new cosmetically, functionality, all accessories in og box. I think this model, spec wise, is about what you'd expect starting at $250, which is where my line was. Started at just 200, but after a bit of schooling I went up a bit. No Freesync, disappointingly, I don't game really so hopefully I don't regret not having it. Has some other nice functions I'll use that I didn't see on many of the others for the same $.
It was on my list already, then seen this. So for the $161 shipped from US, which is where i am, I went for it the next day. I'm not much of a refurb fan, just trying to maximize.
Again from research,,, doesn't appear to be like many no name flimsy w/problematic panels.
Gets high marks on the panel that they factory calibrate, seemingly sturdy build quality, good connectivity, not to mention a nice stand.
Fedex says Sunday.

Last edited: