What should i upgrade?

Techtro

New Member
I want to upgrade my computer but i am not sure what i should spend money on first.

This is my system.

M/B - Asus m3n-h/hdmi
CPU - AMD 9550 overclocked @ 2.6ghz (cooled by coolermaster tx3)
GC - Gigabyte hd3870 512mb
HD - 500gb
Ram - 4gb Kingston Hyperx
O/S - Win XP

$250 to spend. Most likely buying from MSY or Scorpion Computers in Australia due to there the cheapest shops here.

I was thining either changing my CPU to the AM3 965 and overclock to 3.8 like most have done

or

Upgrade the graphics card to something like a 5770 or a gtx260. Only problem is i see better benchmarks for gtx260 but most forums are recommending the 5770 because of dx11 and say its a better card which confused me.

What do you think would be a good upgrade? Any suggestions or ideas appreciated.
 
why another 4GB of ram?
for everyday use and gaming you don't need more than 4GB after that its just a waste of money, well from what i have heard atleast.
 
I got 4gb ram but winxp only recognises 3.5b ram. plus most games only need 2gb max so far. i have another 2gb spare to but havnt installed it due to the 3.5 limit with xp. still cant decide what to spend money on though. need more ideas or suggestions.
 
4Gb of RAM is just fine for you. I'd look into upgrading the GPU first. Although it now depends on your power supply...?
 
I got a 850w Thermaltake toughpower psu. Yeah i been looking at graphics cards. gtx260 216core seems to be the one that stands out of the mid range cards. may stretch the budget to a gtx 275 or 4890. just need some suggestions for and against. Or cpu upgrade to the am3 965.
 
I got 4gb ram but winxp only recognises 3.5b ram. plus most games only need 2gb max so far. i have another 2gb spare to but havnt installed it due to the 3.5 limit with xp. still cant decide what to spend money on though. need more ideas or suggestions.

Dirt2 requires 3GB
 
If your considering the GTX275, rather go for a 4890. It's cheaper and the performance is very similiar. Your PSU should the cards you are considering.
 
Back
Top