What to do with two old cameras?

Thanatos

i have an old Leica (circa World War 2) and an old Canon AE-1, both with telephoto lenses, filters, rangefinders, close-up lenses, the whole shebang. They are both in perfect working condition, but seeing that i'm 13, i can't exactly afford to buy and develop film. The Leica was used by my grandfather in the war and he left literally thousands of slides of paris, london, germany, and of him and his buddies fishing and hunting and of his family.i bought the AE-1 from a guy who lived down by the coast, so it has some external-rust issues, but not much. again, it has all the accessories a person could wish for and a case. i love them both but i wish i could use them. or at least use the AE-1. oh well. :)

The canon AE-1
CANON-AE-1.jpg

telephoto lens
images

The Leica
00U7Cp-161243684.jpg

telephoto lens
Leica9cmelamrWWII1.jpg

so my question is: What do you think of these? are they collectible or rare in any way? what should i do with them?

Justin

VIP Member
Keep them, especially that Leica. Film isn't expensive nowadays. I can buy a roll of 35mm for $3 at Kodak.

tremmor

I don't know but the story was interesting and history. Likely better off just clean and bank it. I would say there may be some historic value later. put it away after cleaning and bank it. might be more interesting 20 yrs from now.

Slides was and adventure for me. My dad had maybe a thousand. scanned them all with a Nikon Coolscan. (only scans negatives and slides). im sure the pictures are interesting though.

For the record i would scan the slides and get er, done. They will fade and history gone for ever.
Same with negatives. thats more important to me. Sharing with family. They will slip through the cracks and good for the trash only.

Last edited:

dark_angel

I'd keep. I've gotten into photography and would like to do film. As mentioned getting it developed is cheap. Just play around with it and read up.

salvage-this

I'd say keep them as well. I just found out that my parents have a AE-1 and I will start to use it soon until I have enough money for a digital.

Thanatos

thanks to all who posted. yeah, i'm gonna keep them for sure. The Leica is in an old Ammo box and that makes it all the more cooler. :D

flanker

I have a box with my trusty old Canon A1 and a bunch of old lens a 55mm 1.2 and a 24mm 2.8, also a Canon motor drive. I will never ever use any of this stuff again. I should have sold all of these over 12 years ago.:(