What to look for?

Im getting a laptop for my graduation present after this year is over. What all should I look for in a laptop? What is a decent amount of memory in one? What kind of prosessor would I want? What should i look for in graphics? I know its early to be learning this kind of stuff but I will need to know it in college anyways.

apj101

VIP Member
Im getting a laptop for my graduation present after this year is over. What all should I look for in a laptop? What is a decent amount of memory in one? What kind of prosessor would I want? What should i look for in graphics? I know its early to be learning this kind of stuff but I will need to know it in college anyways.
firstly, your budget it going to determine a lot of these questions
are you looking for serious portability, and battery life. If so then you'll be looking to the mobile line such a Pentium -M and turion
As for ram, we get at least 512mb
Graphics wise - laptop mostly use onboard graphics so as a general rule its never going to be great

Enigma121

To add to above comments, our advice is to buy the best graphics hardware and screen that you can comfortably afford.

Most cheap machines are coming with 256Mb ram as standard. Running XP with less than 512Mb is a little slow, but it can be cheaper to by a machine with low memory, then drop a new ram chip in, rather than shell out from initial supplier. You can't change graphics or screen generally, so that's where to spend the money up front.

Before buying, check out http://www.crucial.com and compare price for extra chips with the pricing from your original computer supplier.

alanuofm

VIP Member
you should look for a pentium M which is leading the way with mobile processors. you probably want a long battery life and a laptop that is not too heavy. 512 mb of pc3200 ram is suggested at minimum. if you do any gaming or graphics/video editing then you might want a dedicated video card. a budget would be a great start.

X24

Hmmmm, well considering that its for collage, i'd say look for something thats smaller, so that u can carry it around, and wouldn't be bad to take notes on.

also, match specs to what you want to do with it.

say, if u want to edit video or something along that line, u'd want 1gb of ram.

if u want to download lots of music, u might want to go with an 80-100gb hard drive.

ect ect.

but the fact is, by the time u are getting a laptop, chances are there is gunna be a few changes.

ripken2004

get a gig of ram or get the laptop upgrade it, get an 80gig hdd, built in wireless g, ~15" screen is good, x700 or better for graphics, cpu depends on what type of comp u want