What works?

Raiz

So, I want to improve my laptop with some new parts. How do I find out what parts are and are not compatible with my laptop?

beers

Staff member
And why not?
How would you upgrade components that are surface mounted to the board?

Sometimes you can upgrade the CPU if it's socketed, but if it's BGA then that's soldered on too.
Most laptops don't have a slot for a graphics card, so that's soldered on too.

That really only leaves RAM and SSD, and some other random ones like wifi card.

Raiz

How would you upgrade components that are surface mounted to the board?

Sometimes you can upgrade the CPU if it's socketed, but if it's BGA then that's soldered on too.
Most laptops don't have a slot for a graphics card, so that's soldered on too.

That really only leaves RAM and SSD, and some other random ones like wifi card.

By mounted you mean soldered(?) and welp, bummer for me ._. Like I want to learn about computers, I can mess around with my old dell desktop ofc but still, im mostly out of my house and ALWAYS have my laptop on me, Im on it almost 24/7 sometimes. I wish there was more I could do with laptops. But thanks :) Im sure ill find something fun to tinker with.

Laquer Head

There is nothing you can do really, to upgrade that laptop. Other than a SSD and 16GB of RAM, but really its a laptop, nothing much else to do with it, not to mention the CPU is 3rd gen and End of Life

beers

Staff member
This is always an option:

1.jpg

Geoff

VIP Member
Most laptops simply don't have individual components that can be replaced or upgraded. In the quest from manufacturers to make laptops thinner and lighter, they need to embed components like the video card, CPU, and more in order to accomplish this. Many ultra thin laptops such as the MacBook line, also have embedded/soldered RAM and storage, so on those nothing is upgradable.

Raiz

Well thanks guys :) It is a bit disappointing but I still might try getting more ram and possibly a ssd for my laptop (or a hdd caddy for a second HDD bc I wanna try running 2 OS. The second one being linux.)

Intel_man

VIP Member
If you already have 8GB, probably not. On Intel's website, that particular i5 processor officially supports 32gb maximum, but on Samsung's website, your laptop is spec'd for 8gb. Anything over 8gb, I cannot recommend or guarantee that it will recognize.

vm = virtual machine. It's like having an operating system within an operating system. It's full on inception.

Raiz

If you already have 8GB, probably not. On Intel's website, that particular i5 processor officially supports 32gb maximum, but on Samsung's website, your laptop is spec'd for 8gb. Anything over 8gb, I cannot recommend or guarantee that it will recognize.

vm = virtual machine. It's like having an operating system within an operating system. It's full on inception.

thanks and thanks!

is a vm really worth it tho?