What Would It Take to Make a Mid-level Game Machine

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
The FX series sucks though :|

I agree! :) Although that's when I would suggest an ATi 9600XT - 9800XT in the midrange because Nvidia chocked durring the FX series. But you have to look at it this way. These cards 9600XT 9800XT play all the new games and are last generation in a decent price range for the most part so therefore midrange.

If we start saying that the 6800 falls in midrange then where does the lowrange start? everything is now out of "Balance" so to speak because you have like 1-2? video cards in high range? then how many is that in mid? and then there's be tones in Lowrange (not very well balanced). Of course once again it's just my opinion :p

Edit:

The 6600 and 6600GT are ment to be nvidia midrange cards.

yup I can agree with you guys if it's all new generation products that we are talking about but I like to throw in some of the old as they are still fine cards 9600-9800 Pro's and XT's and still even too high for alot of peoples budgets. But of course this is how I look at it and of course if you where to narrow it down to just new generation then you'd be right but as I like to keep the variety a bit wider because people like more choices and cannot necessarily afford the newer gen cards when I suggest a build.

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Nvidia chocked durring the FX series
well a process and core change at the same time is always bad news. pricewise a 6800NU might count as midrange but Midrange is still the 6600 series and lowend is the 6200. Just like ATi has the x800/850 for high, x600/700 for mid (x600 is really low mid) and x300 for low

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
well a process and core change at the same time is always bad news. pricewise a 6800NU might count as midrange but Midrange is still the 6600 series and lowend is the 6200. Just like ATi has the x800/850 for high, x600/700 for mid (x600 is really low mid) and x300 for low

I'm still agreeing with you guys but disagreeing as I think there's still room for old gen cards so I add them for consideration.

lilm3boi

A 9800Xt costs 400 dollars and a 6800gt costs 400. (Prices from Newegg and Best Buy). There is no point in a 9800xt anymore unless its under 200. Also the 6600gt and can be bought for 200-250 and a regular 6800 can be bought for 250. I would consider those midrange. I got my 6800 from Best buy for 250 and it came with a mail in rebate for Half life 2, and Far Cry inside the box.

EDIT: It was a BFG 6800 OC too...

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
A 9800Xt costs 400 dollars and a 6800gt costs 400. (Prices from Newegg and Best Buy). There is no point in a 9800xt anymore unless its under 200.

I'm sorry but apparently my point has gotten lost. 9800XT was just used as an example. You see everyone knows that ATi are ripping people off for the 9800's and I dont recommend them for that reason but cost aside. Also the 9600XT/pros are fairly cheap and they also sat in the same category In my arguement.

I honestly dont see how my point is lost on some people though. Seriously I've agreed with everyone and have made a decent arguement in my defence and yet there's just no compromise on thoughts and ideas.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
my opioun is if you can afford a 6600GT or better go with the next generation cards. If your budget is lower then a 6600GT then it is worth looking at the past generation card. I still recommend 9600 pros for people with a ~$100 budget.

Last edited:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
my opioun is if you can afford a 6600GT are better go with the next generation cards. If your budget is lower then a 6600GT then it is worth looking at the past generation card. I still recommend 9600 pros for people with a ~$100 budget.

Thank you for that :). New generation is always best of course. I just keep a wider range of cards in mind because allot of people cannot afford the newer generation cards, cpu's etc. and the old gen is still performing well. To keep the variety wide is it not logicol to take last years high end cards and now use them to build todays midranged systems? I think so.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Well if you have a choice between nvidia fx series or the ati radeon pros take the ati radeons :|

I've never recommended the FX series to anyone as I think Nvidia screwed up with that series. Although I know I used that series as an example sadly because that was the last generation Nvidia hehehe sometimes my logic colapses in on itself :-(.. eh.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I've never recommended the FX series to anyone as I think Nvidia screwed up with that series.
Id argue the 5900XT and the 5700/5700U were good cards -- when you factored in price ... I particularly like the 5700U with its uberOC friendly setup ... the 5900XT gets honorable mention for BIOS hackability :)

Just wondering what a mid-level gaming machine should have these days.
Hmmm....
Athlon64-3200 Socket754
MSI K8N Neo [Platinum]
1GB PC3200 (the good stuff if possible)
6800NU/6600GT/6800LE/9800Pro
Solid PSU, wattage is mostly inconsequential

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
yeah ok my bad what praetor says sounds good

LOL? What Praetor says now does sound good and "Usualy" does (them man know computers) but I've seen em wrong ;-). dont happen often but it does as with us all.

Just busting your chops a little praetor ;-).