Whats the Best Way to Arrange DDR in dual channel mobo?

PC eye

banned
If you buy value ram often then you'll run into those a lot. A Corsair 1gb value ram here is single sided. That was bought just prior to upgrading the cpu on the last board in order to run in dual channel mode. The AMD models prior to the Atholon XP3200+ didn't suport dual. After the cpu was installed a pair Corsair xms series 512mb dual sided performance dimms suddenly found their way here.

SirKenin

banned
Unlike the prior poster asserted, all AMD XP mainboards (it's not up to the CPU, it's up to the memory controller :rolleyes: ) support double sided DIMMs. They are definitely the most common and have been for as long as I can remember. Even 386s used DS. The early Pentiums were using single sided, but that's a long time ago.

Even still, both exist, and all memory controllers support SS/DS configurations. It would be like comitting suicide if they didn't.

XFs

My first memory was a DDR400 500Mb placed it on my board, it worked fine, then i have another DDR266 256Mb a month later, placed both on the board

Why would you mix DDR400 and DDR266?
It's the first thing about Dual Channel setup that is advised against.

chrisalviola

I thought dual channel means you can mix different dimm speeds, thats why i mix ddr400 512mb and ddr266 256mb it worked fine anyways, u only need to arrange them. i got a 233mhz speed on boot. my system is stable.

PC eye

banned
Unlike the prior poster asserted, all AMD XP mainboards (it's not up to the CPU, it's up to the memory controller :rolleyes: ) support double sided DIMMs.

You missed the point again there. I wasn't talking about what boards supported the dual channel mode. The first AMD model "cpu" to support the dual channel architecture was the Atholon XP3200. :rolleyes: Dual channel skipped a generation with the Socket 754 boards to see it re-emerge with the Socket 939, 940, and AM2 models currently in use. As far as memory many boards will refuse to run with single sided dimms not the other way around as you are muttering about. :rolleyes:

SirKenin

banned
Umm. Back away from the Tequila...

I said Double Sided.. Not Dual Channel. You were all over the place in your post (as usual) and when you simply said dual, I assumed you meant dual sided, seeing as how the rest of your post referenced "dual sided" *sic* DIMMs.

PC eye

banned
Umm. Back away from the Tequila..." I don't drink. Can we ship you a bottle? :p

I said Double Sided.. Not Dual Channel. You were all over the place in your post (as usual) and when you simply said dual, I assumed you meant dual sided, seeing as how the rest of your post referenced "dual sided" *sic* DIMMs.

Double sided and dual sided are the same thing. But the question here was on arranging memory for the dual channel mode.