what's the CAS number for those memory

kof2000

lower or higher better? i saw some higher CAS ones cost a bit more than those for say a 3 cost more than a 2.5

4W4K3

VIP Member
CAS of 2 is best. the only reason memory like 3-3-3-8 costs more is cuz its usually liek PC-4800 1GB kit. smaller #'s mean tighter timings which most of the time means faster and better performance. 2.5 is good too...but 3 would be a lil slow.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
CAS of 2 is best
CAS1 is better. :p

smaller #'s mean tighter timings which most of the time means faster and better performance
No it doesnt. It means that you can make it faster -- not that it comes faster. Now of course it comes faster but nobody on the planet cares about 2 clock cycles when memory performance is measured in MB/sec rather than cycles. CAS2 is only good if you have highly-clocked CAS2. By itself it doesnt mean much. If you have tight timings and 'stock' clock then the only thing that will be faster is the memory test when you bootup. Loose timings + massive clock increases translates to useful performance gains

but 3 would be a lil slow.
Depending on the implementation (i.e., servers), CAS3 is the only option really.

4W4K3

VIP Member
my bad on the timings speech. when im thinking timings im thinking everyone is overclocked, just a bad habit. and i've never seen CAS1 b4...is it out?