Whats there to do?

tondo

In the past three of so years I have become a computer fanatic. I jsut cant get enough of them, from the time I first touched one, to when i got my first comp, until now, computers never seem to get boring. I was just wondering, if anyone has any opinions on what the most fun job or field of studies with computers would be. Im gonna be going to college soon in the future and i wanna know whats out there. Thanks for any input!

mgoldb2

VIP Member
tondo said:
In the past three of so years I have become a computer fanatic. I jsut cant get enough of them, from the time I first touched one, to when i got my first comp, until now, computers never seem to get boring. I was just wondering, if anyone has any opinions on what the most fun job or field of studies with computers would be. Im gonna be going to college soon in the future and i wanna know whats out there. Thanks for any input!

I personaly going to college for computer science and plan to work on software programing. Hopfully one day programing game engines.

Anouther major to conisder is computer engineering which is the fastest growing field in computers at the moment.

I would proberly choose either computer science or computer engineering for your degree.

tondo

thanks a lot, creating game engines would really be fun, im gonna check out computer engineering stuff, thanks for the help. Ive got time though, 2 more years till college

tondo

how good do u have to be, im on a track to take calculus senior year, and ive already take alg 1 and 2, its ok, the teachers have been crazy. Is there tons of math involved??

mgoldb2

VIP Member
tondo said:
how good do u have to be, im on a track to take calculus senior year, and ive already take alg 1 and 2, its ok, the teachers have been crazy. Is there tons of math involved??

well here mine math requirments for mine computer science major

calculus 1
calculus 2
calculus 3
discrete math
statistices
linear alegebra

non math classes but are heavily math base
calculus base physics 1
calculus base physics 2

plus in some of the computer classes you will use math to prove effcientcy of algorithms and stuff like that

I tooken all of these already and I would say calculus 2 and physics classes was the hardest.

am not sure what the math requirments are for computer engineering but I would expect equally as hard.

Last edited:

Lax

VIP Member
I'm going to RIT after this summer for netowrking and system administration (which is a BIG raising profession). All I know is networking is the one thing that can't be outsourced to some other country like india or the like.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
Lord AnthraX said:
I'm going to RIT after this summer for netowrking and system administration (which is a BIG raising profession). All I know is networking is the one thing that can't be outsourced to some other country like india or the like.

I did a few summer jobs networking in highschool. I had my ccna for awile but I think it expired by now. just did not catch my intrest.

Lax

VIP Member
Yeah I'm still trying to go for a few certs. (thanks to The Lodge) and am taking this networking course cause it's something I love to do and it's an almost certain bet you'll have a job right after college, networking is going to be the future.

OS Dragon

I might be starting Computer Science at university next year :D I just love programming, I can't get enough of it. I want to do a lot of programming with the C language and learn a some computer architechure. I like the idea of designing and building computer systems in every way possible. I thinking of taking up networking + (virus creation) as hobbies :)

samstown22

heres a suggestion that i thought of last night in the generals while pondering on holographic memory:
fiberoptic techs are going to be in high demand soon, especially with more and more oncoming developments. and, while its not directly working with, say, programming and etc, it does deal with high speed transfer of data....and its something that im considering doing just for fun. a certificate for that is only like one year at a local college.

tondo

what jobs are available after college for networking? and what do u mean by networking, i think im thinking of something else.

Lax

VIP Member
Networking meaning hooking 1 thing to another, and instead of it being 1 thing think of a networking job has hooking hundreds of things to each other, not all the objects being computers and not all of them being compatible. As for jobs there are tons. Every major company is going to need things networked,no matter what it might be. Plus its the one job they can't ship to India :D