when was the first!??

samuelhii_mei

when was time first time you been brought into the world of "computer"??

i was when i was in primary 2 or 3!! the first game i play is Doom!!
Doom was really awesome during that time!!
and the os i was using was window 95!

aqsg72

<b>VIP Member</b>
I dunno I think I just got a computer and went from there really ;) That was '98 I think, I never experienced the joys of Pre-Windows '95 :D Probably first game I played on it was Total Annihilation. I've never played Doom! Oh Nooes! Man I was deprived as a kid :(

Super_Nova

My first computer was in 1991. I was 13 years old. It was a 386sx 16Mhz with Dos 5 and Geoworks. It had 1mb of RAM and a 40 MB hard drive. During the course of its use it gained a 425mb hard drive and 4MB of RAM. The RAM was maxed out at 4MB. It also gained a Pro Audio Spectrum soundcard with a SCSI CD-ROM ROM interface built into the card and an external scsi cdrom. Back then CD-ROMs weren't all ISA Standard so they put a CD-ROM interface on sound cards. I upgraded to DOS 6.2 and had to buy windows 3.1 for it because it did not come with windows. In the 12th Grade when I finally decided it was time to retire the 386 after 6 years of faithful service I built a 486sx 20mhz. I Totally gutted a 286 from its enormous and heavy metal case and bought the motherboard which had 8mb of RAM on it and the powersupply which just so happen to fit the case. I then removed the 425mb hard drive/ sound card and CD ROM and ISA ATI video card from the 386 and reused them. I installed windows 95. Diamond actually made a 64-bit ISA video card capible of 24 bit color so I eventually put that in there. I decided to "go all out" and bought an external 56k modem. Back then 56K was going all out. I think I used the 486 for about a year or two until I decided to build a 100mhz Pentium!!! I built several systems after that including a 300mhz AMD k6/2 that ended up a 450mhz k6/2 and went through 3 motherboards to do it but still runs great, An 800mhz Athlon that is still one of the best systems i've ever built. And now with my Suitcase PC. I think I used that external 56k modem right up until I went to broadband 3 years ago.

edit:
Oh and I was able to play Doom, The original Doom on my 386. It ram under DOS. I had to make the screen tiny in order to play it at a decent speed.

Last edited:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
The first time I worked on a computer was in 1985. And it had no Windows, in fact not even DOS installed. The good old CP/M ruled back then. But it was fun... :)

Super_Nova

From what I understand Intel approached the owner of CP/M first before they decided to use DOS and he turned them down. If that's the case I bet he's kicking himself now.

4W4K3

VIP Member
I was still living in Detroit. My dad had a computer for the first time and i disn't even know what it was lmao. I think i was only like 4 though.

First ACTUAL computer interest (like to build) was probably when i was 11? My sisters bf was playing Team Fortress online and i asked to play. He gave me the name "n00b" which i didnt know what that was at the time. i sucked...but it was like the best time i ever had:) no one even plays TF anymore lmao.

ZER0X

VIP Member
I used my dads 186....oooh yer! but my first computer was a 286 :p when I was 5 or something cant remember :eek:

loserpunkx182

5th grade when floppys actually flopped around hha...i dont even know the name of those computers but they were OLD..black screen and green font was the way to go, one mouse click button and clicky noise keyboard...and ohhhh yes....oregon trail:D

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Of course in school the Apple IIC was my first introduction to computers.

My father who works in the advertising field, had a Mac Pro at the time.

Now with the G5 he has stayed with APPLE for the most part.. which makes sense..

I on the other hand am a PC guy. My first computer was a CYBERMAX 486 with a 500 MB hard drive... I remember waiting more than a few minutes for a couple of low res images to load on compuserve...

wow, that brought back great memories... ... ... ...

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Of course in school the Apple IIC was my first introduction to computers.
My first computer used at school was the Apple IIe, I remember how cool and sleek those IIC's looked.

Lax

VIP Member
I'd have to agree ian. We used the Apple II's and logowriter, the little turtle you used to draw. First game was prolly Duke Nukem, the original side scroller on an 8Mhz machine with a 25Mhz turbo!!

Last edited:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
My very first encounter was an indirect one, since that computer worked with punch-cards... It was a long time ago... :eek:

computerdude2004

My mom said that she had a portable computer in 1985 that weight like 30 pounds. She has been using computer forever. I think her first encounter with a computer was in the 60's or 70's. It was a punch card. When we went to the Smithsonian, they had computers through the ages. Her boss learned how to program a computer on the first design of the computer they had there, and she learned how to program a computer on the second or third design. The Apple two was one of the last designs along with the "Big Blue", or whatever that first computer to beat a person at chess was. I thought the first PC we had at home here was pretty powerful and would have been able to beat somebody at chess, but the first time a computer beat somebody at chess was in 1994 or 1995.