Where could I find old comps.

kobaj

VIP Member
I love modding and such, and want a few new hard drives and such. SO I got to thinking were could I get these...for free. :rolleyes: Do you have suggestions, I was thinking about schools, friends, ect. but what would I say to not sound rude. Now I dont exactly live in a big city so... Also im only 13 .

Kboy

Well, occasionally you find a good deal at a garage sale for pretty cheap. Free is tough, but I got some old computers that were just sitting around my church for really cheap cause they didnt want them.

Bobo

banned
kobaj said:
I love modding and such, and want a few new hard drives and such. SO I got to thinking were could I get these...for free. :rolleyes: Do you have suggestions, I was thinking about schools, friends, ect. but what would I say to not sound rude. Now I dont exactly live in a big city so... Also im only 13 .

My friend's big brother works at Vocelli Pizza, and he got 2 19in LCD's (new) for $10 each. :eek:

You just gotta know where to look, and know old people. Older people tend to be nicer in giving younger people (you and I) old(er) computer (parts)

So, look around, tell people that they shouls get a new computer cause theirs is crap, then see if you can inherit the old one:D

kobaj

VIP Member
WOW NEW. Dang, I swaer everyware I go I am now going to ask if they have old crap that I could try and get working again and such. But dang a pizza place, I swaer I am asking everyware. But how to make it to ware I dont sound rude.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
My school received its yearly grant from the state (about 5 months ago) and it upgraded a ton of computers.... they let us have whatever we wanted.... there were at least 50 desktops and towers... even more monitors and a huge pile of mice and keyboards... I grabbed 2 old CRT monitors and 4 P3's.. ... they are still sitting in my parents garage until I can figure out a use for them :D

..as for cheap comps, usually large computer stores have some cheap ones they dont keep out on the floor... ask an employee... a local store, Fry's Electronics had some Athlon XP 3000+ comps for like $279....

kobaj

VIP Member
I have had bad experiences with E-bay. But my school probebly does have a bunch of old stuff but how to go about getting it, and getting the corage(SP?)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
kobaj said:
I have had bad experiences with E-bay. But my school probebly does have a bunch of old stuff but how to go about getting it, and getting the corage(SP?)

courage

I am not sure. Every school is different. I just happen to get lucky. Ask a few teachers or the principal if they would notify you when the are going to get rid of a computer and whether or not they would be willing to give it to you instead.

Also, there are some websites that give student discounts on software and hardware.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
But my school probebly does have a bunch of old stuff but how to go about getting it, and getting the corage(SP?)
Courage = if you want it enough.
Seriously, if there is a tech program at your school, consider asking them if they are willing to look into a refurbishment program (i.e., you get old computers, clean them up and ship them out to other schools or something) ... i got tons of stuff that way heheh

penguinrusty

The tech program at my school consists of one old guy who thinks that our age-old e-macs are still fast (at around 450mhz i think) He also tried to run Halo for mac on one of them...With 64 megs of ram....and integrated gfx