Where do I physically connect my RJ-45 Ethernet cable to MESH?

johnnyb58

The more I look at Mesh WIFI Systems, the more confused I am.

Do I connect the RJ-45 Ethernet cable from my internet service provider directly to one of the 3 Mesh modules? Right now the Internet cable connects to my router, but the Mesh says it replaces the router. A lot of the systems also say to connect to the modem, but I don’t have a modem only an Ethernet cable coming through the wall.

This is driving me crazy and I even went to school on WIFI 35 years ago, but I guess technology has changed quite a bit since then,

johnnyb58

RTFM

Also 802.11 came out in 1997..
Sorry, but I don't know what your response means. I trying to understand how does the Mesh WIFI connect to the internet? Do I have to buy something else like another router? I don't see where the internet cable connects to the module or whatever it's called and only see 3 Ethernet ports for devices.

View attachment 11364

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do yourself a favor and either read the directions that came with it or watch this unboxing video on youtube. It's pretty easy to setup.

johnnyb58

Ok I have not made a purchase yet because I don’t know what I need to make it work.

In the video at 1min it says plug the ethernet cable into the LAN port of the modem or router. I don’t have a modem and I’m trying to get rid of the router.
Aso the device that says to plug in the cable does not look like the the rest because it on has 2 ports and the rest have 3 so is that a seperate device?

Last edited:

johnnyb58

Well I guess I'm going to go ahead and buy it because its says "This item can be returned in its original condition for a full refund or replacement within 30 days of receipt" so I can return it if it doesn't work. Although I'm not happy about the app, I have too many damn apps making my life too complicated. I liked it better when I just plug it in and never looked at it again for 10 years

johnnyb58

OMG!!! I'm sure glad none of you could hear me while I was trying to connect this Deco 55 Mesh System because there was some pretty ugly words coming out of my mouth. :rolleyes:

But I finally got it to work with the help of my daughter. :cool: So thanks.