Where to start

Hello I'm very interested in computers and I'd say moderatly knowledgeable about them. I know html, and the basics of windows os. However I'm going to start getting much more involved in computers in general and I'd like to know what some of you think I should learn.

List some books, languages you find "neat" ect.

Thank you.

OS Dragon

Someone else has posted this once before and I found it fascinating:
Memory

Once you get into computers, you may want to build one of you own:
Build Your Own PC

When you really get into computers and operating systems, you might want to experiment with a variety of OS's: Linux (SuSe is my favourite;)), OS Mac (I've heard Panther is good)

If your interested in programming, C and Pascal is pretty good as it deals with the basic fundamentals/ concepts of programming

OS Dragon said:
Someone else has posted this once before and I found it fascinating:
Memory

Once you get into computers, you may want to build one of you own:
Build Your Own PC

When you really get into computers and operating systems, you might want to experiment with a variety of OS's: Linux (SuSe is my favourite;)), OS Mac (I've heard Panther is good)

If your interested in programming, C and Pascal is pretty good as it deals with the basic fundamentals/ concepts of programming

Hello OS Dragon, yes I will use the first link you gave. However the second link you gave is the same as the first.

And for studying C or Pascal, is that good for beggining? I had come to understand that C was a very complex language.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
C can be simple or complex, it's all about how far you want to take it. A good thing is if you look at C++ instead of C (I know they are almost the same but a C compiler wont like the C++ specific syntax) then all the important techniques (Object Oriented stuff, pointers, etc) can be learned.