Which ATI AIW for my MSI K8N Neo2 Plat?

morkys

Upgrading my PC which contains a Matrox G400 max video card. New parts consist of MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum motherboard and AMD64 3000+ winchester CPU. In order to use the CPU I need a BIOS upgrade. With BIOS upgrade and G400 max installed, the PC will be unstable with BSOD. Problem acknowledged by Matrox. I have been thinking of upgrading my video card soon, but can't afford it right now. Ultimately I'd like an ATI AIW like the 9600XT. What other ATI AIW cards could I use instead? Older AIW cards that are at least faster than the older G400 max and can play some games.

thanx

Crash5291

i think even the Radeon 9200 AIW at 400Mhz Memory, and 250Mhz GPU would be quicker than the Matrox at aprox 155Mhz up to 175Mhz GPU and memory at 200Mhz if i read it right

According to Matrox, the peak 3D fill rate of the Millennium G400 MAX is "in excess of 333 Mtexels/sec." if texles are the same as triangles them it beats the AIW cards i looked at AIW9200@63 MTriangles, AIW9700Pro@325 MTriangles, and AIW9600XT@263 MTriangles

though with the extra memory and speed i think the 9200 would "do" but why not just grab a cheap card to use untill the 9600XT fits your budget?

This its cheap and will get the job done till ya can drop the $$$ for the card you want

Anyways congrats on the new parts looks killer :)
Joe

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i think even the Radeon 9200 AIW at 400Mhz Memory
Got a link on this GPU?

Older AIW cards that are at least faster than the older G400 max and can play some games.
Why get a super expensive card that isnt what you wanted?

morkys

Actually I'm looking at an ATI AIW Radeon 7200 32mb for now. The person is asking $80 CAD but I may offer $20.00 because thats what I've been told its worth. What do you think its worth? I just need a temporary solution.

I can get the AIW 9600XT at local stores for $245+tax=$281.75 but I can't even afford that. I missed the FS sale over Christmas. I thought about it but didn't realize I'd need the card until after. I don't play many 3D games.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Thats 400Mhz Memory and 250Mhz GPU
Its actually 200MHz memory (DDR400) ... this may and/or may not mean anything depending on if the Matrox board uses DDR

Thats 400Mhz Memory and 250Mhz GPU
little tired today? lol
It's 200 (hence my dubious/skeptical question)

ATI AIW Radeon 7200 32mb for now
1. They still sell those??
2. Dont you mean 7000? (which is PCI for the AIW isnt it? and prolly disconned) Or the 9200? (which is discontinued)

The person is asking $80 CAD but I may offer $20.00 because thats what I've been told its worth. What do you think its worth? I just need a temporary solution.
Its prolly worth the 80CAD ... but not for the GPU ... the TV stuff and the fact that its all in one ... I prolly wouldnt pay more than $40

I can get the AIW 9600XT at local stores for $245+tax=$281.75 but I can't even afford that. I missed the FS sale over Christmas. I thought about it but didn't realize I'd need the card until after. I don't play many 3D games
If you dont play games ..... (you can also consider the nVidia home theater cards)