Which DSLR

epidemik

It'll probably be a little while before I buy but Im trying to get a feel for whats out there ins the digital SLR world.

Looking at entry level, which of these is the best "Bang for your buck"?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8363674&type=product&id=1177717703253
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8139169&type=product&id=1158323379076
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7026069&type=product&id=1099394810083

BTW, ive held them all and they all felt fine...im looking for technically speaking, which is the better buy. Also, i will probably be using the stock lense for a long time (unless i get really into photography)

EDIT: Also, this is kinda a nooby question but do DSLRs have an auto focus? Like if I wanted to snap a quick shot would i have to focus it or could i just whip it out and go?
I guess id get use to focusing and get fast...

theboy

Haven't had time to check your links out there, but if the Lens is capable of "AF" auto focus it should be able to do the job.:D

EDIT: Canon would be the way to go. Nikon has terrible reputation for repairs. Olympus would be my 2nd pick. 10Megapixel!

Last edited:

MBGraphics

VIP Member
What ever you do, dont base your decision off of which one has more MP (megapixels)!!!
because they have almost NOTHING to do with immage quality. basically, what it means is, the more mega pixels, the BIGGER the picture, NOT the BETTER. There are 6 and 7 mega pixel cameras that will blow away most 10-12 mega pixel cameras.

Personaly, I would go with the Canon XT, I have the XTi and absolutly LOVE it. You can see some of my pictures HERE that I took with the XTi and a Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro (usualy around $220 USD)

You can get the XT with that lense, as well as getting the "Kit lense" (EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6) that usualy comes with the camera, and that would make a great every day, basic set-up, while still getting amazing results.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions, I would be more than happy to answer them ;)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
At a quick glance they all look very promising. I suggest you look around for some reviews and do some comparisons, but checking a few shots, each camera seems to have very similar photos. My main concern would be checking into lens costs if you plan to upgrade. I know the D40 has some cheaper lenses you can get. But then again, some of the others may have an edge in certain conditions. I personally own a D40 and notice it's a rather poor performer in lower light conditions(at least using auto white balance)

MBGraphics

VIP Member
The_Other_one: What lense are you using? If it's just the kit lense, then thats pretty much completly normal, they are not really meant for low light conditions, you would want a lense with a constant apature of 2.8 AT MOST for indoor, or low lighting areas.

mnshutterbug

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big dogs like Canon, Nikon, Olympus or Pentax. They are all fine performers, in the right hands. Actually, what's more important, is the glass that's attached. Cheap glass will get you poorer quality photos. It's that simple. Canon has IS built into their better lenses and Nikon has VR. They mean the same thing. They minimize camera shake or vibration while handholding the camera. I have the Canon 30D and just one lens. I only shoot wildlife so I splurged and bought a 100-400 L series lens. It is a very good lens with IS but set me back about $1300. I'm a member of a few photo forums and the people that have Canon swear by Canon, the ones that have Nikon swear by Nikon and so forth. They are all find cameras if you are willing to take the time to learn all the manual controls. If not, get a good advanced point and shoot. Some of these will take some pretty amazing photos.

Also, you can do much better than Best Buy, for prices. I just checked Canoga Camera and they have the Canon XT kit for $445. They are a good source.

Last edited:

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Well, I'm planning on getting the Nikon D40 on the future. I tried the D40 and the Rebel XT on best buy and I have to say, Nikon beat the D40 on this one. The D40 for me, feels a little more easy to use and just more betterness!! :D