Which DSLR?

Irishwhistle

So I'm trying to decide between the Canon XSi, the newly released Canon XS, the Nikon D60, and the Nikon D80.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the Nikon D60 as it seems to have the features I want for the price I want. The XSi and the D80 are a bit pricey, but have some features I'd love to have. And maybe it's just me, but the D60 seems better to me than the XS.

I'd love to get some opinions! Thanks! :)

EDIT: Or maybe should I go with the D40x?

Last edited:

lynx6200

Depends on features you want. I have the Nikon d70s (replaced by the D80), and I love it. On of the key ingredients is the lens you choose, and the type of photography your doing. The increase in mega pixels between the cameras really doesn't mean much of anything unless your printing hug posters. I don't have the specs in front of me, but one thing that usually changes with the price is a higher fps (frames per second), especially good for sports. I personally don't like how small the d40 is and how it feels in my hand.

The only other thing that you may want to consider in the choices, is how much is the lens you want for each brand, and the quality of the kit lens inlcuded.

Hope that helps...

massahwahl

VIP Member
I have the XSI and its a powerful DSLR. It has live view but honestly I prefer not to use it as I still feel the viewfinder is 100% more accurate.

I dont know about Nikons, but Canons are backwards compatible with any canon lens (with very inexpensive adapters) which is nice because some great deals can be had online on these older lenses if you dont mind manual focus.

cudenver

there is lots to decide on

well you should check out there links to start with

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/canon_rebel_xsi.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/nikon_d60.html
check out the other reviews of cameras, while you are there.

Here is my experience,
IMO, there is no difference between canon and nikon, I owned both nikon and canon DSLR, and the nikon d70 took great pics, but now i own a Canon 40D, the cameras you are looking at will do a great job for everyday picture taking, theres lots of talk about MP but I know from experience that six is just fine, my canon is 10 i think and produces huge files. Dont worry about frames per second, I only use the 6 pfs on my 40D when shooting sports,
Its better to spend less money on your camera and more money on your lenses,
and remember that is not the camera that takes the picture.

If you have any questions feel free to ask,

Hyper_Kagome

I just got the D60 last week, and I'm loving it. I need to learn a lot of the features so far, but I'm really loving it.

It doesn't have live view, but who needs that? Live view just gives more of a point-and-shoot feelings.

And it has an amazing burst mode for rapid succession picture shootings.

etc etc.

Check out the Nikon website.

Punk

Staff member
It all depends on your level of photography, what you will do with it, if you had any experience with DSLR before :)

The D40 is the entry price DSLR, I have it I love it but if you want something better, Hyper Kagome seems to enjoy the D60 :D

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Pentax K10D
Search over.
I'm not in the mood to write it all out, but if your decision is only between the C & N's 'low' end then the K10D wins by a mile imo.

Bob

Irishwhistle

Thanks for the replies! :) Live view isn't a big deal for me, from what I've seen it seems to be fairly buggy except for maybe on Olympus and Sony models...

For those of you who haven't seen it this is the sort of stuff I shoot. I also take photos at family events and such... but that won't be an issue with any of the cameras I'm considering as even my current point and shoot can handle that just great. Oh, and I almost always shoot in manual and since focusing a DSLR is so quick compared to a Point and Shoot I'll probably be using manual focus most of the time, so the 3-Point AF of the Nikons shouldn't be an issue.

Well, I'm pretty much decided on the Nikon D60... the D80 is too pricey and in the long run I'll want the added stuff on the D60 rather than the D40x. The XSi is more than I'd like to pay and it's not TOO much better than the D60. I'd kinda like to go Nikon anyway... and obviously I prefer the D60 over the XS, especially when price is cosidered. Any final thoughts. Oh, and I'll probably be buying from either Amazon or Adorama. What lens (other than the kit lens) should I get with a good amount of zoom. Oh yeah, and should I get the kit lens at all or skip it? Thanks! :)

Irishwhistle

Pentax K10D
Search over.
I'm not in the mood to write it all out, but if your decision is only between the C & N's 'low' end then the K10D wins by a mile imo.

Bob

Thanks, but really that's a bit more than I can spend... and I'd kinda like to use either Canons or Nikons anyway because of lenses.