Which monitor upgrade would you choose?

gillmanjr

I'm trying to decide on my next monitor purchase and am struggling between primarily two different options. My current monitor is a 6-7 year old Acer Predator x34p (34" 1440p ultrawide, no HDR). For the last year now I have been trying to decide whether to go with the same size monitor but an OLED version (either the Alienware or the Samsung G8 OLED) or going for a size upgrade to a 49" 5120x1440 ultrawide (non-OLED). My GPU is a 4070ti.

I honestly think the OLED would be the bigger upgrade since I'd be getting both the OLED panel and HDR. But I've also never seen a 49" 5120x1440 monitor in person, so I'm not sure which would be better for gaming. I'm aware that Samsung now has the G9 OLED on the market, which is the first OLED version of a 5120x1440, but thats out of my price range for now, and probably for some time to come. $1000 is about the most I'm going to spend. My other concern with going to a 5120x1440 is the additional hit my GPU is going to take in driving it. Just looking for some opinions on here...what would you do?

Last edited: