which motherboard

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I thought I was stable at 3.15GHz. Prime95 ran for 2 1/2 hours (I know, that's not long enough) without errors. However, I started having some problems. If you're interested, see this thread for more detailed info on the problems I'm experiencing. Maybe you can help me out. :eek:

PC eye

banned
I've been seeing that error often enough with sound card drivers more then anything. I'm usually running an older game when a driver will lock and end up back at the desktop if not seeing a BSOD. Video drivers can also see that at times. That can be seen even running stock.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I've been seeing that error often enough with sound card drivers more then anything.

That's interesting. I'm using onboard audio drivers. Perhaps I should uninstall/reinstall all the MoBo drivers.

I'm usually running an older game when a driver will lock and end up back at the desktop if not seeing a BSOD. Video drivers can also see that at times. That can be seen even running stock.

Can you recommened a good, free, driver cleaning utility? I've got some work to do. :mad:

PC eye

banned
I figured you were using onboard sound since no card was listed in your sig. For video the card manufacturer generally provides a driver removal tool on the cd or at the support site for download. For a tool that removes all kinds I would have to point you at two different freewares for registry cleaning.

The Regseeker tool seen at http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm will locate the entries found in the system registry for each driver sought. You have to go one driver at a time if you know which ones are remaining.

The RegCleaner will actually remove drivers found in the Windows\system32 folder that would otherwise see the access denied or some other message denying removing them unless booted in safe mode. http://www.dewassoc.com/support/useful/regcleaner.htm

With RegCleaner the main window displays what programs are installed on your system other then MS products by listing the main keys for them there. This tool and the use of Regseeker are more for the advanced user familiar with how to manually edit the registry and not make big mistakes since any modifications are at your own risk there.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I thought I was stable at 3.15GHz. Prime95 ran for 2 1/2 hours (I know, that's not long enough) without errors. However, I started having some problems. If you're interested, see this thread for more detailed info on the problems I'm experiencing. Maybe you can help me out. :eek:

Well, I solved the iexplorer.exe memory hogging problem. In hindsight, I don't believe my overclocking was the issue.

Well, I got my motherboard today, and Will I see a noticeable difference in OC'ing between the chipsets? My CPU will be a Core 2 Quad Q6600. I hear the NF68-A1 is good for OC'ing a quad core, but is it worth the extra $40?

This is my current approach to OC'ing the Q6600 with the NF68-A1:

3 GHz
9X Multipiler
1334 MHz Front Side Bus Speed
Unlinked Memory
BIOS VCORE: 1.32
Actual VCORE 1.28
Temps: Idle 42C (Too high, I think) Full load 62C (Still high, but not bad?)

Yesterday I started up Prime95 around 1:30PM. It's still running. I'll let it run until about 1:30 this afternoon. So far, I haven't received any errors. As far as the temps are concerned, some say this CPU inherently runs hot. I have an excellent heatsink/fan, applied thermal paste appropriately and I'm sure the unit is mounted correctly. I may reduce the voltage a bit.

If you're lucky, you'll get the G0 stepping. :) It runs cooler, and OC's better, from what I've read.

Good Luck!

Last edited: