Which Optical Drive To Buy

stevenson140

Hey I know this sounds stupid but, would anybody go onto newegg and look me up the right optical drive for what I am going to be doing.

- Gaming
- Burning DVD's and CD's
- Watching and listening to CD's and DVD's.

Thats all. What would be the right optical drive I am kind of confused on what to get. :(

Also, I am not looking for two optical drives if I have to, and am looking for an middle goodness LOL. Not the best not the worst.

Thanks
Shawn Stevenson

Last edited:

dznutz

any recent optical drive nowadays will do what you want.

but if you're picky and are willing to use hacked firmwares then i'd recommend a pioneer. currently tests have shown that pioneers are the best dual layer burners (quality wise) our there. the pioneer is just a regular dvd +/-/+-dl/ram burner but by using hacked firmwares (example: http://tdb.rpc1.org/ )you can make it burn labelflash, bitset to dvd-rom, and region free.

however, i'd discourage getting a plextor as it's too expensive. in my opinion most of that extra money is for their "plextools" software.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I used to lean towards NEC drives, but I think they've gone out of the optical drive market... But anymore, most all drives are about the same. Some may read damaged disks slightly better or have over-all better read/write speeds, but in the end, it's really features and price/availability. Quite a few drives end up being identical but simply rebranded. If I'm not mistaking, Sony and LiteOn drives are basically the same internals.

Just looks around, find some prices and looks for good deals. You may consider checking Newegg. Even if you can't order from there(assuming you're in Canada by that link) but you could see what drives are their best sellers, what rating people give them, and such.