Which Video Format takes less space?

Juven

If i need to write as many video as possible,
which is the video format that takes less space on the disc.
Surely not .vob.

darth yoda

If i need to write as many video as possible,
which is the video format that takes less space on the disc.
Surely not .vob.

ok ill give u an example to help. if u have a 700mb .avi file and then convert to dvd it would take up over 1gb if not 2 depending on the length of the movie. im not sure about mpeg but avi files are pretty small. u can use a program like avi to dvd to convert and test if u like.

hope this helps. if u need more help i will try.

cohen

depends on quality as well... like if i downloaded hairspray from somewhere :)P) it would be 700MB but i ripper the DVD and it was over 1GB.

darth yoda

depends on quality as well... like if i downloaded hairspray from somewhere :)P) it would be 700MB but i ripper the DVD and it was over 1GB.

yes but usually d/led versions are r5s and come from cd's and are excellent quality. i think they arent comparable to dvd quality. but anyway quality does make a difference aswell

Juven

I do understand that to get the best DVD quality it takes more space.

Quality should be good enough to see and good sound quality.

I just want to write as many clips as poss in to a DVD(4.7GB) disc.

and wots that d/led versions?

Aziek

the smallest video format would be H.264 in a mkv container, than use a program like "convertXtodvd"

darth yoda

as far as small goes i've seen WMV, but then again quality of wmv is crap.

how about wma files?

avi files are good. u can put at 700mb each 6 movies on one dvd. just use a conveting program nd experiment with the sizes. u can get a good quality movie at 700mb for .avi files so if thats all u nbeed try avi. then see if its small enough. i would recommend winavi as the files it makes are smaller than other programs and it is very quick to convert.

Mitch?

banned
i'm not sure which has better compression, but .avi looks nicer generally, and it's not an actual file as much as a wrapper for the sound and video files, so it's easier to edit and stuff later on, .mpeg isn't as good imo

Vizy

I think .avi would be the smallest because if one were to go to btjunkie.org right now and type in a movie name...most, if not all, the hits would be in .avi format.

darth yoda

thats what i said. winavi is the best. quickest and smallest files. and all movie downloads are in .avi format no matter where u get them from. so for moviews i think avi format is the best one. espesially as there are divx players for the tv that can play .avi files in divx format (i dunno about xvid).