Why do my browsers keep going to my old website?

gib65

Hello,

I am wondering why my browser keeps going to my old website after I changed the A record to point to a new website. I registered my domain name with godaddy.com. Initially, I tried using their web builder tools but became dissatisfied with how limited they were. So I built my website from scratch using basic HTML, CSS, and Javascript and deployed it to my own server. Then I went into my account at godaddy.com and changed the A record to point to my server. I gave it 24 hours and then tested it. It worked. I could see my new website on my server.

But then I tried viewing it in Edge (I was using Chrome before this) and it went to the old website. I cleared all my data and tried again. This seemed to work. Then on a later day, I tried it again in Chrome and again it went to the old website. I tried it in Edge and again it went to the old website. I checked the A record at godaddy.com and it was correct (pointing to the new website). I looked into proxy server settings and ensured it was turned off but this didn't work either.

Why do my browsers keep going back to the old website? Clearing my data doesn't help as it keeps coming back. Where is it coming back from? It can't be a proxy server since I have my proxy settings turned off. Can anyone explain why this is happening? Thank you.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
open command do do ipconfig /flushdns. The IP seems to be cached in your DNS records.

beers

Staff member
Usually cache whether it is browser or DNS, also if you use a local hosts file for testing different destinations it might be easy to forget an entry is in there.