Why doesent my computer burn CD's at max speed?

I noticed that no matter what program I use to burn a CD the program will never burn at the maximum speed that the CD is designed for. For example my CD-RW's are rated for 12X but when I choose "maximum speed" it burns at 10x. And my CD-R's are rated for 48X but when I choose "maximum speed" it burns at 44x. Why is this?

And there is no need to explain how faster burning rates can cause errors. I already know that all.

PC eye

banned
The main reason for the differences seen labeled on the retail package and the actual write has to do with fastest read speed when you see something like 48x. The cd writer used here has the 52x24x52 designated speed. The burns are at 24x while the read speed for both prepared retail cds like software disks are read at 52x. The cd-rs burned are also read at 52x.

Duffman656

Go into my computer, right click your burning drive, then click properties, hit the recording tab, then select the burning speed you want to be "fastest". Let us know if this helps.

blake67T

Check for updates for the burner's firmware. if youll notice the package your cd's came in, it will tell you the disks may not burn at maximum speed even thought your burner is capable of it, if your firmware is not totally up to date.